Return Setup Advice

cyrus

So I was trying to tone down my water noise in my overflows an decided to try some different plumbing. Right now I have two 24" high overflow with 1 12"x1" return in each they have T's on the tops with gaurds on either end of the T. Any Suggestions on how to quiet these puppy's?

Fill the overflow up with bioballs or use several layers of "enkamat" (check aquatic ecosystems). I've run 3000 gph in 30" high overflows and you can't hear it standing in front of the tank. If you use the enkamat product I would layer it verticaly all the way up to the "combs" or teeth of the overflow

I tried loading one with bioballs wich helped a little. I'm talking more specifically about the return to the sump it gargles.

If I'm understanding this correctly the noise is actually being generated in the plumping from the overflow to the sump. Not from the water falling in the overflow. If this is the case are you using flexible tubing or plumping that may have a dip it it which catches water? This would in cause a backup that would flush out on a fairly fast cycle, you would hear a change in the sound anyware from a few seconds to 20-30 seconds.

Is the outlet of the plumping from the overflow to the sump under water? this would force some of the air in the water to go against the water flow to escape out the bulkhead fitting into the overflow.

Wouldn't it make more noise if I brought it over the water level?

This is a good possibility and it will also increase salt spray which generally isn't a good but from what I can tell it seems the dynamics of your setup is trapping air somehow and it's escaping is causing the gurgling noise. It sounds like you've taken care of the noise caused by water falling in the overflow. If simply raising the output of the plumping above fixes the noise issue drilling a hole like you said is one solution. Another is to make a baffle that lets the water flow freely but catches the spray like some of the plastic canvas cloth you get at hobby shops or a sock with the end cut off. Have you checked out the HSG device in the DIY section? I've always been able to figure something out that I don't have to worry about adjusting but these are pretty easy devices. Since you haven't said I'm guessing you are using all rigid plumping. but in case you are using flexable pipe I've seen flexible plumping used that sagged on horizontal runs making a trap like you see under sinks. When water backs up in the trap it will start a syphon that will make a gurgling noise then stop for a short period of time. The only solution in this case is to replace or brace up the plumping to get rid of the trap.

Wouldn't it make more noise if I brought it over the water level?

I admitadly am adding to much minutiae to this thread but here's a picture of what I've done on one of my tanks. Water has a vertical fall of almost 2'. The end of the plumping is 2" to 4" above the water line depending on evap. The "sock" is white 1/4" thick filter padding with about one and a half wraps around the drain pipe. It is only tie wrapped at the top, the bottom end is completely open to avoid any clogging and subsequent back up (flooding), this is not intended as a filter for the water just a baffle/muffler. No water noise can be heard when the cabinet doors are closed, when open it's a soft fzzzzz, it's about 600 gph. The salt creep on the edge of the sump tank and return line is at least a six month build and is limited to that immediate area.

post-1247-12700825650627_thumb.jpg