Corals

Christian

I'm starting this because I know people have corals that are one color when you buy them, but they cange color. I've heard of Kenya tree corals being bage. But have you head of them being green?

I went to a fish store in Plano and I bought some food for my gsp's so that they grow their green color back. And the owner told me that I can also change the color of my Kenya tree coral. So when I get home I'm going to try and cange the color.

Difference in color, and color morphs are pretty common. If you've heard the expression "Everything looks different in someone else's tank," that applies to this.

Lighting, water conditions, flow, and what is being fed to the tank are all determining factors in this.

Yep... feeding can determine color.

For instance, if a coral is in a tank, and not being fed much, and it has a dull color. The owned puts the coral up for sale, and someone buys it.

In the new owner's tank, the coral is being fed regularly, and the water parameters are far different. The coral will be fuller, and for the most part, healthier.

Corals HAVE to eat. While most do it photosynthetically, colors can be far better by feeding meaty foods. Acanthastrea Lordhowensis are a very good example of this.

Ya, but I've never heard of feeding corals food And they change color.

Well I think they can't go from green to red for example, but their colors can fade in or out, they can loose their color altogether, or they can loose certain pigments thanks to different parameters, diet, etc. Lighting makes the biggest difference because it both affects their coloration through bleaching and health based on photosynthetic output, but also because it affects the way we see them in the tank. A food can improve health and increase pigmentation to an extent (as can certain additives, like those amino acid mixes sold), but it can't change the pigments there - that's only up to the color morph.

It would help. SPS and LPS corals use calcium to build their skeleton. If there is not enough in the water they will not grow. If you are not worried about rapid growth and do regular water changes, you could get by without it.