Opinions on MH bulb for Solana fixture

johnoburns

I'm looking to get a new bulb for my 34 Solana tank. It seems like the most popular ones are the phoenix 14k and the radium 20k. Pricing aside, what are your thoughts and experience? These would be the DE bulbs on a magnetic ballast.

Edited by austinaquaman

Every phoenix bulb I've ever seen, I'm amazed at the color that it puts out. The tanks always look great underneath them.

From what I've read of the reefluxes, people have the best luck with them an electronic ballasts.

I have some reefluxes on the way, but don't have any direct experience with them or the phoenix.

If you like the blue color or are not running actinics i really reccomend trying out SPS bulbs.

I don't have any atinics, just the standard disco ball MH fixture that comes with the Solana. By SPS you mean South Pacific Sunlight?

+1 for Mark, the NEW SPS bulbs arent made the same as the old ones. Just ask the Mannings. They have 4 new ones and they all have burned there sps corals. I let them borrow one of my OLD(like 4 yrs) SPS Bulbs and the burning has stopped. I dont have any experience with DE bulbs but the 20K SE MH Reeflux bulbs are BAD A___!!!! JMO

+1 for Mark, the NEW SPS bulbs arent made the same as the old ones. Just ask the Mannings. They have 4 new ones and they all have burned there sps corals. I let them borrow one of my OLD(like 4 yrs) SPS Bulbs and the burning has stopped. I dont have any experience with DE bulbs but the 20K SE MH Reeflux bulbs are BAD A___!!!! JMO

yep and dapettit got a pair and they burned his corals too. Hearing about how SPS handled the issue has me avoiding anything to do with SPS.

I have run the 14K phoenix bulbs over my solana in both 150W and 250W. I love the color and with my 250 I get reasonable coral growth underneath. My only complaint with the 150W was that it just didn't have enough output to adequately light the tank, and it was obvious in the almost no coral growth that I had in the 6 months that I had it. I would recommend the phoenix, but only in the 250W.