Sebae Anemone

Salt Dreams

So Friday I bought this sebae and these are the pictures each day up until today. I need help please I dont know what is wrong with it but it appears to be on death row. I was told that it is normal for it to deflate sort of a self water change but I am nervous. I acclimated it for about 1.5 hours which I thought was a long time. They say that clowns help to acclimate but my clowns just look at it. My water parameters are as followed

PH 8.0

KH 12

Nitrates 0

Amonia 0

Nitrites 0

Calcium 460

Phosphates .25

Currently it is under t 5's because my canopy was recently finished and I am staining it but I have 2 400W metal halides to go with the t 5's. So that about sums it up I have other corals that are doing well so I am not sure if this sebae requires special treatment. Please offer suggestions and if I did something super stupid be nice I am still fairly new at this!!! doh.gif

FYI

Day 1 is in the pet store

Day 2 is in my tank while eating

Day 3 AM is after it moved over a rock and it fell face(i know it has not face) forward, I flipped it over

Day 3 PM later in afternoon

Day 4 I am just watching it constantly hoping for the best

Thanks in advance bye.gif

post-1258-12687006557188_thumb.jpg

post-1258-1268700977863_thumb.jpg

post-1258-12687009910137_thumb.jpg

post-1258-12687010192574_thumb.jpg

post-1258-12687010479955_thumb.jpg

It is probably just stressed. Anemones take a while to get settled in their new spot. On a side note, I'm pretty sure that is a long tentacle anemone, not a sebae anemone. Sebae anemones usually have spots on the tips of the tentacles and don't have the little warts under the oral disc.

I'd give it another week. It should be fine. They sometimes take a while to acclimate. I know that when I first got a long tentacle anemone it took about two weeks of it to settle down.

Here is an updated picture, I am not sure the mouth from the foot now! Blah... and to add to my issues my co co worm was out of his shell on the sand this morning so if anyone knows what to do about that I would appreciate the knowledge...I put him back in his shell but he dont look like he wants in, he want out he was not even close to his shell this morning.

post-1258-12687564534325_thumb.jpg

After you purchase an anemone don't jump the gun or worry. Do not feed it for a week after you get it to give it time to aclimate to your tank. Never force feed an anemone i.e. put the food in its mouth. Place the food on it's tenticles and if it is hungry it will draw the food in. Don't manually reposition it. If it has moved its because it's not happy. Reef central has lots of info to read up on.

Hey Teoahnna, what LFS was this? One in Killeen?

Hope your anemone feels better soon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think coco worms can be hard to keep especially in a newer tank (because of the lack of plankton). I had a hawaiian duster and a cluster duster, both died. The cluster duster was doing great (making new tubes/babies) until my eel buried it,several times, then it never recovered. The hawaiian just up and blew its head and died one day. On researching more I learned filter feeders like these can be hard to feed. They eat little bitty plankton and can easily starve to death. I think that's what happened to my hawaiian duster. I'm going to try another one and specifically target feed it. They'll also blow their tops/jump out of their tubes because of stress. Your water params look great now (yea!!!!) but that KH spike you had was probably enough to stress a lot of your inverts.

Liz I target feed my co co worm with phytoplankton to avoid him starving to death. Yea my parameter have come a long way. I am about to post some before and after pictures in just a min. I finally got my canopy up with the 400 W MH yeah yeah yeah I am thoroughly pleasedbiggrin.gif

Well, I would think stress then. That said, from reading is seems that the dusters/worms can be challenging to keep. I have tons of the itty bitty feather dusters on my rocks, no idea what did my big hawaiian in, it may not have been food related.

Glad you got your canopy to work for you! Do you have fans in it? Don't cook your tank with those halides. :)

I was supposed to have fans but they were not installed rather given to me to install...good luck with that electrical work. If it is anything like the ceiling fans then I will be good cause we installed those ourselves. Any who I put him back in his shell and he is fine so far we will see what happenswacko.gif

I am feeling hope after all the worry. Thanks to all those who helped me out and had patience when I was panicking. I appreciates you all lol now i am yahoo.gifjump.gifthumbsup.gif

That looks much better. I wouldn't say you got swindled though. LTAs are easier to keep than Sebae, though I would inquire about a refund of the difference in cost.

Glad it's looking better, crossing fingers it keeps going in that direction! Sorry I wasn't a whole lot of help on the phone. I'm really not sure how I've managed to keep my Sebae alive for at least 3yrs now...esp. with adding basically tap water the past month and having a nitrate spike when I moved (which killed fish and coral, but not the Sebae).

Ok so I am thoroughly confused now...I looked up information on the sebae and they usually have purple tips as stated above but...the long tentacle anemone usually has a red or orange base. I have yet to find a site that says that they have a white base. My anemone has a white foot so now my question is what the heck did I buy cause it is not a sebae and it might not even be a long tentacle...doh.gif any sites that can help me identify the anemone.