what else do i need?

aggieMEDIC

I need a lot of stuff for my new setup.

first is a return pump i was thinking a mag7 would be a good one to start with. not because i have a history with them or anything like that they just seem to be the name i keep hearing.

I am looking for a skimmer. was thinking about the euro reef RS-80 i'll probably end up buying one new. but gotta save the money.

Lights - T5 4x54w probably 2-10k and 2 atinic of some sort. other than that i dont know. probably a retrofit and i will build it into the canopy. i have know idea about the ballast.

Overflow- I am going to TRY to build it Try being the operative word. but i still need one.

I already have the sump, tank, and i am building the stand in 2 weeks probably with either cherry oak or maple depending on the deal i can get on the wood.

I am looking for a controller for my tank. and i obviously dont need it right away but i always miss them in the FS forum. I have checked ebay and craigslist to no avail. not made of money so i am looking for something a little cheaper than full price. i like the reefkepper 2 and it seems like it may be a better deal than the AC Jr.

oh i am also looking for a 50g drum to store a complete water change.

I would like to find an RO/DI unit but since this is a rental house i am hesitant to install it anywhere.

I was thinking about 2 of the hydor koralia #1 one on each end alternating. but i dont know how to get that to happen.

What else am i missing? I know there is a lot left, but i am having trouble coming up with it.

thanks all

What size is the display tank. Also, what do you plan to keep in the way of corals? I have seen the Hydor powerheads at Kingfish and they look like a great little pump. John seemed to be happy with the one they are trying out.

I like the Hydor powerheads alot for flow applications between 400-1000 gph. When you start getting near the 1000 gph range (model 4) the pump is the same size as a Tunze and I'm always going to be a Tunze fan.

They will not do well on a wavemaker. Prop pumps on general will not work on a wavemaker unless designed to do so (Tunze).

John

no, the hydor pumps will not work that way.

because a lot fo this is new to me let me ask you why they wont.

now this is my ignorance talking but it would seem logical that if you just turned them on and off they would create that effect. what is the mechanism in the pumps prevents this. (i am trying to educate myself not questions your expertise)

thanks dude

It's not so much the turning them off and on, it's doing so repeatedly (BTW questions NEVER bother me so ask away!).

Prop pumps have problems starting in the correct way unlike impellar pumps (impellars can spin either way, props only work one way). To make them spin the correct way, resistance is applied to the shaft (utilizing gravity) and the prop automatically corrects itself and spins the correct way. The early Tunze nanostreams are having this exact problem. The shaft is too loose on the pump and the lack of resistance causes them to spin backwards indefinitely or until you put something near the pump's output (now intake as the prob is going backwards). The suction causes resistance, and the prop corrects itself.

This problem with them starting makes prop pumps (nanostream, hydor, maxijet mods) unable to be used on a wavemaker. The normal on/off is expected but to do so continuously will ruin the pump.

All the big tunze streams have a braking system that forces the impellar to always spin the correct way PLUS the streams never power completely down, only to 30%. This also happens to be the reason you can't clean a stream with muriatic acid, the brakes will melt.

John