GFO

Hamp

Well, after getting my BRS order in today, I put some GFO in a filter sock and put it in my Biocube. It sits in a shelf mod after running through cheato in the middle chamber. I added about 1/2 cup that gets really good circulation. Well looking today at Aquatek's Tunze GFO label, I read that caution is necessary on the amount of GFO, and that GFO can cause too rapid of a nutrient decrease that potentially could cause coral death. I guess that I am wanting a little peace of mind from someone who has used it.(being my first time). So please let me know how you used it and how it worked for you. And also if there is something that I need to be aware of.

I use a Precision Marine Pro media reactor and like it. The three little fishes leak after a while and it's tricky to tighten the lid. PM makes various sizes, but the middle pro size is nice quality for not too much money(around $170). I run rowa phos and have never seen an issue from too much. It's difficult to reduce your phosphates to 0 with gfo as more is always being produced even with a reactor. I've measured the water out of the reactor (merck test) and it is very close to 0 but the tank never falls much below .03 mg/l.

+1 for Dales comments, i run ROWASPHOS in a two little fishys reactor and it does fine. INNATE- i run 250ml in mine but you may start out with half that at 1st. In another reactor(2 little fishys) i run phosguard and carbon together. You should come over and look some day.