(2) 250w MHs

offroadodge

(2) SE 10K MH Bulbs less than 4 times fired for maybe 15 minutes each with (2) magnetic M58 ballasts. They need a cored wired to them other than that they work fine. Was going to add them to my set-up but went a different route. The bulbs are a no name called Artisian from Canada, they look closer to the range of 12K IMO. Doesnt come with the Mogul bases for the bulbs but i have a place localy to get them for like $12 each. $150 Jeremy 512-971-1925

• 1 month later...

This a great deal from a great person. . . he can even hand build the reflector, too!

Melissa by raising an lowering the light you can increase and decrease the lighting as needed. I had mine hanging from the ceiling. As the bulbs aged I lowered the light. Then when I replaced the bulbs I started the process all over.

If you change your lighting you will have to adjust your photo period until the corals get used to the new light. I start at 4 hours but with you converting from PC to MH's (if you make the change) I would start the photo period at 2 hrs. Then increase the photo period by 30 minutes each week until you reach 8 hours.

As with any "high powered" lighting system cooling the water and evaporation will be a problem. A ATO (Auto Top Off system is need along with fans and/or chiller to keep the temp around 78- 80 degrees.

I hope I haven't over loaded you with info!

Sorry Jeremy. . . :lol::gun::whistle::innocent: didn't mean to steal the thread.

Another dumb question. What is the purpose of the auto top off? If I fill it myself with my jug water, would that still be ok? And for the chiller, I've never had one, used one, or seen one. We keep the house at 65 at night and 72-75 during the day and our other much larger freshwater tanks (granted they don't have bad @*$ lights heating them up) stay pretty constant. Then again I know a friend who said his chiller went out in august and he lost the whole tank.

As far as this set up, how would I mount something like this? I under stand the concept of the wiring etc, but where do those square parts go?

The Auto Top Off makes it easier to keep up with evaporation. You can set a 5 gallon jug next to or inside your stand and when the water reaches certain level water is pumped from the jug to the tank where it shuts off when it reaches a certain height. They are controlled by a float switch.

A chiller is kind of an air conditioner for your tank. Water passed through the chiller which senses the water temp. When it gets to "hot" (a control you set) it will kick on "chilling" your water. On the water temp reaches the optimum temp (you again set) the chiller will kick off. This repeats as necessary.