New Chiller....

Tim and Kendra

Yup, in Georgetown Home Depot would be the place. You'll need tubing to go from your pump (if submerged) to the chiller, than from the chiller to the tank or sump.

Something I missed the first time I set mine up. Keep the tubing out of the light, or don't use clear tubing. I had algae growing in the tube where it got light from the sump light.

Yup, in Georgetown Home Depot would be the place. You'll need tubing to go from your pump (if submerged) to the chiller, than from the chiller to the tank or sump.

Something I missed the first time I set mine up. Keep the tubing out of the light, or don't use clear tubing. I had algae growing in the tube where it got light from the sump light.

Agreed. Avoid the clear vinyl tubing if it'll be exposed to any light. Algae loves to grow in there and kill your flow.

Does it matter if you go from bigger tubing down to smaller tubing?? Does it reduce your flow back to the tank?? How do I change the connection at the bottom of my tank? That is the problem I am having. I am not sure how to go from a bigger connector to a smaller one for the smaller tubing on the tank. Sorry I have so many questions. Thanks Tim

Reducing the size of the tubing will have no effect as long as you are getting the proper amount of flow. 1/2" tubing is capable of 8 GPM (gallon per min) which is much more than your chiller is recommended for. One of the most important things when installing the chiller is to make sure that your GPM or GPH matches what is rated for the chiller. To much or to little flow will effect the performance. Don't go off of the the GPm or GPH of the pump, once you restrict this flow through tubing/chiller and add in restriction of pumping the water up (if at all) it will greatly reduce the pumps capacity. The proper way to measure this flow is on the return line of the chiller, I use a 5 gallon bucket and a stopwatch.

What brand of chiller did you buy and what hp rating? Most likely you bought a chiller manufactured by Prime (several brand names are used for this chiller) and are trying to reduce from 3/4" (factory inlet and outlet sizes) to 1/2" or 5/8" depending on what you use for your aquarium. There are 2 ways to do this, Brite Ideas in South Austin probably have the 3/4" to 1/2" reducers in stock or you can order them online. Since you live up north try Grainger, they have a decent selection of plasic barb adapters in stock.