Leather Toadstool, Split or Dying?

renman303

My Leather Toadstool that is about 2 years old literally split itself from it's main base? It was attached to a small piece (3") rock but it first attached itself to an ajoining rock as well then, the trunk completely let go of the base. Now I have a smaller diameter Toadstool (I guess it's in shock because it looks half the size in diameter) that I put into another crevice. It appears to be alive as it's tentacles stand on end during the daylight hours.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

Dave "RenMan" ^_^

Hmm.. I don't think I understand fully (pictures might help if possible). I have a toadstool that is about 1.5 years old, and it continues to grow in diameter.

I think I have heard that that toadstools can regenerate from pieces (I know the crown can, not sure about the base), so maybe you will get a new toadstool from the detached base. And if you are getting tentacles to come out of the other portion, than it seems to be somehwat happen. When mine is not happy, it does not extend it's tentacles.

This is a natural way to propogate itself. I have a large Devils Hand leather that continuously sections itself off making frags which are easily attached to another rock. A simple rubber band will do fine for helping with attachment. After about a week, remove the rubber band (if ready it will be attached) and voila! Make sure all of your params. are in check and if possible, do small consecutive water changes to eliminate some of the funk that the leather may put out while splitting.

When mine is not happy, it does not extend it's tentacles.

Leathers also withold their polyps just before shedding a layer of skin as it grows. This is sort of like growing pains in that it seems to happen at once and then it is fine afterward. If yours is doing this all the time it may be that your water params are not stable or that the leather isn't getting adequate water flow. Hope this helps.

Leathers also withold their polyps just before shedding a layer of skin as it grows. This is sort of like growing pains in that it seems to happen at once and then it is fine afterward. If yours is doing this all the time it may be that your water params are not stable or that the leather isn't getting adequate water flow. Hope this helps.

You're right, I should have put that in my description, as I have seen that also.

Mine is happy one again. I have been trying to find a new location in the tank, and the past few have not been to it's liking. It is about time for me to manually frag my leather, as it is shading too much rock (or get a bigger tank ;) ).

Here are some pics. One shows the Toadstool when I first purchased it about 2 years ago. It's hard to see the split in the pics but the Royal Gramma is pointing right at the base that was left attached to the rock. The top of the Toadstool is seen in the next pic attached to the top right of the pic with the rubberband keeping it in place. It is drooping currently, but it's tentacles do come out every day. What do you feed these things or how do you help them recover? Four Attachments. How do you put a circle around a pic or point an arrow to show people what you are trying to point out?

post-155-1201310973_thumb.jpg

post-155-1201311015_thumb.jpg

post-155-1201311041_thumb.jpg

post-155-1201311066_thumb.jpg

Edited by renman303

Here are some pics. One shows the Toadstool when I first purchased it about 2 years ago. It's hard to see the split in the pics but the Royal Gramma is pointing right at the base that was left attached to the rock. The top of the Toadstool is seen in the next pic attached to the top right of the pic with the rubberband keeping it in place. It is drooping currently, but it's tentacles do come out every day. What do you feed these things or how do you help them recover? Four Attachments. How do you put a circle around a pic or point an arrow to show people what you are trying to point out?

:lol: That is too funny ... using your fish as a pointer. Very smart fish :)

Well, All I can say is that if the tentacles come out, then it seems like it is one th road to recovery.

As far as feeding, I mostly let mine light feed. But when I feed my filter feeding critters, I shoot some it's way also. I use a combination of stuff .. which right off hand I can't remember any of the names. I will have to post more when I get home.

Thanks for the reply. I also use Mysis, Phyto, and I try to "spot feed" if you will, with Marine Life with Cyclopeeze. I'll mix a shot in a huge syringe with some of the tank water and as you say, shoot it at each of the individual animals. I'm still in experiment mode with only 2 years at this and a small 55 gal. which I hope to replace soon with a 180-240 gal. I also know that I need MH as I only have a T5 setup now.