Automatic feeders

Christyef

I’m interested in using an automatic feeder to sprinkle pellets in the daytime while I’m at work. My fish are getting pretty big. I feed frozen daily when I get home. Any brands better than others? Are they a terrible idea? I do not have an apex hooked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone through two different eheim twin feeders. They work great when they work, but eventually just stop working properly. Something with the augers always messes up and they just don't spin after a year or two. But I did like the option to feed 2 different foods at their own amount and frequency.

Loving the AFS for my apex. Sorry to say it!

• Like 1

I've been using the Neptune cross-over diet, my fish are all fat and they know when the feeder starts.  I have two APEX feeders that feed a total of three rotations mid-day.  No real reason I need two now, but at one point I had a clown tang that was so aggre3ssive with food I wanted to feed in two areas to give everyone a chance... but he's been rehomed now.  I've never had any issues with the APEX... save them running out of pellets before I noticed.

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of Ehiem's single hopper autofeeder.  I'll use one or two on systems with NLS 1mm and 0.5mm pellets.  With fish like Lyretail Anthias or Vanderbilt Chromis I'll mix ZoPlan and Reef-Roids can be added for corals.   A trick I learned with Elvis, my 25+ year old Sailfin Tang since he was getting pretty fat compared to his tank mates was to use the 0.5mm pellets in two autofeeders synchronized to feed at the same time, It takes longer and is more work for him to go around and gobble up the pellets giving the other fish more time to eat and helps keep his weight down.  I also use a "feeding tube" attached to the input of return pumps to broadcast food throughout a tank so one fish can't dominate an area where food is dumped.

• Like 1

The feeding tube creates a venturi effect that sucks the food directly into the return pump intake.  You can see a 90° elbow at the bottom with the intake side of it pointed down.  This elbow is attached to the intake of the return pump.  The slots in the side of the tube are cut at an angle to help crate the venturi or whirlpool swirl that keeps the food from building up on the side of the tube and rotting.  The bottom of the tube is sealed with a peice of acrylic so all the water has to go through the slot on the side.   The slots I cut with a cordless circular saw held at a bit of an angle but it would be easier I think to cut them on a table saw but I imagine could be made with a 1/4" drill and a small handsaw to connect the drill holes.

I have tried dumping food into a sump above or next to a pump intake and a lot of it does not get sucked into the pump.  This will end up rotting and can smell pretty bad and using a feeding ring in the sump doesn't prevent it from happening.

The feeding tube creates a venturi effect that sucks the food directly into the return pump intake.  You can see a 90° elbow at the bottom with the intake side of it pointed down.  This elbow is attached to the intake of the return pump.  The slots in the side of the tube are cut at an angle to help crate the venturi or whirlpool swirl that keeps the food from building up on the side of the tube and rotting.  The bottom of the tube is sealed with a peice of acrylic so all the water has to go through the slot on the side.   The slots I cut with a cordless circular saw held at a bit of an angle but it would be easier I think to cut them on a table saw but I imagine could be made with a 1/4" drill and a small handsaw to connect the drill holes.
I have tried dumping food into a sump above or next to a pump intake and a lot of it does not get sucked into the pump.  This will end up rotting and can smell pretty bad and using a feeding ring in the sump doesn't prevent it from happening.

Had to read that a couple times to get the full picture of what it was in my head, but I did. What a Neat idea!

• Like 1

@Christyef, I have a couple Eheim auto feeders sitting around that I have never used. If you want one, it is all yours. May take me a while to dig through all the aquarium supplies I have been hoarding though.

Yes! I’ll take it to try out!!