Live Webcasting?

Kaplanm

Does anyone have a good method for doing live webcasting of their tank? I've got a spare webcam, and the know how w/ software and networking, but the sticky bit is that I don't have a staic IP to set up a webcast from. Is there a good software solution for working around that?

Yes, you don't need a static IP address. Look things like noip.com. You basically install an app on your computer that constantly monitors your dynamic ip address and sends up it to their server. They give you a url that you can hit that is always mapped to your ip.

You'll have to configure your firewall at home so that all external requests get routed to the camera's IP address.

I went through the whole process of setting up everything so that it can keep up with a dynamic IP address and then for 3-4 years mine never changed with Uverse.

So with my webcam, I just made sure I forwarded my port through the firewall and that's all I needed. If the IP address ever changes, I'll worry about it then but just forwarding the port worked for me in my scenario.

Archived