2x 40b frag tank setup

Funkness

hey guys i am setting up a duel frag tank setup want to link both into one sump was think a 55 gallon for the sump but still trying to decide what return pump i should use i am thinking 1.5 drains with 3/4 returns or 1 inch returns not sure yet what yall think?

you know with two 40 breeders, you could essentially cut your sump down to a smaller size, as you already have 80 gallons of water shared between the two...

and have you given any though to cascading the tanks ojne atop the other? so that only one return outlet is needed? you could even do2 main drains on the top one for emergency, one for primary, repeat for second and so on...

i thought about that but i worry about the space and if having one tank over another will effect heat if the lights heat from the bottom tank will raise to the top one

with the surface area and evaporative cooling from the water turbulence you will want the heat

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

hmm ill draw up some plans but if 8 do one on top the other what pump should i use? for lights i was just going to use some chinese 120w dimmable duel driver lights

one that has the flow amount you want at the head height of your top tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Downsizing the sump is an option. On the other hand, you could easily go with a larger sump.

OK, admittedly I have a 40g display running on a 120g sump so I may be biased.

The GPH turn over is fairly well documented for frag tanks (I leave this to you to look up based on species you're planning on hosting) given a fixed GPH and presumably a fixed height (head) the basic math gives you the overall (per tank) GPH. Review http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml to identify the pipe size needed based on flow.

Archived