29g Biocube Back Wall Repair

boognish

I recently picked up a 29g Biocube to use as a QT while stocking my new 175 gallon bowfront. I have a feeling it will eventually be a zoa or softy tank, but for now (and as far as the boss is concerned), it's a QT tank. I got an insane deal on it, so I wasn't surprised to find that the seal along the back wall on the pump side had failed. Water was being pulled in on the side where the seal was failing. This prevented water from flowing correctly from the other side, across media tower, and past the skimmer. Instead it was filling up directly on the pump side and barely flowing in the other side.

I picked up some black silicone from RCA and resealed the side and filled it up again. Unfortunately, the seal was not the root cause of the problem. The edge of the back wall that extended to the back of the tank was warped and/or not connected as it should be, so once full, the weight of the water pushed the wall back and just broke the new seal. I needed to somehow prevent the wall from flexing back and warping with the weight of the water. I have some acrylic rods left over from building my rock towers, so I cut one to fit and superguled it in the top corner on the failing side, and redid the seal. The back wall stays put and water flows correctly through the tank, now... Bring on the fish!

I was surprised that I didn't find anyone with similar issues because the wall design is pretty flimsy and has to have failed for someone else... I hope this helps anyone that ends up in the same predicament. If you need a piece of acrylic rod to fix yours, I can spare 5 inches.

post-84-0-70227200-1344670980_thumb.jpg

post-84-0-14319200-1344671012_thumb.jpg

post-84-0-62103300-1344671040_thumb.jpg

Archived