Plumb those tanks

subsea

Thursday night, a friend gave me a lift home. Showing some of my extended garden of citrius, tomatoes, okrae and canteloupe, as we walked the property, we came up on my four 150G Rubbermaid tanks which I have brought on line in my seaweed growout system. He asked me what were all the different pipes and valves. I told him it was to confuse the competition. These four tanks are above ground and exposed to direct sunlight all day. Even with a modest high temperature in the low 80's, the water inside the 150G Rubbermaid tank reached 100 degrees in about 6 hours of afternoon sun. I am using geothermal and evaporative cooling to deal with "Il fait chaud". In speaking with my shrimp farmer partner, we are both installing 50% shade cloth over our macro growout systems. We each use regenarative blowers to move water with aspirating diffuses in the water. I am using ground water at 70 degrees to remove heat from these growout tanks. I have also installed degasser columns to strip excess carbon dioxide out of the water and by blowing air up thru the stream of falling water, I increase the evaporation rate. Flow rate of water in these degassor columns is 75GPM. Both air and water are cooled off in this process. It takes some serious cooling to keep 1000G of water exposed to direct sun in Texas Hill Country between 75 and 85 degrees during a summer with 100 days of 100 degree plus temperatures.

Patrick

Archived