air pump got wet

lewisweil

One of my air pumps fell into the tank. Fortunately no one got electrocuted, I unplugged it right away. I open up the pump and drained it out. After I let it air dry can I keep on using it? Or should I call it a loss and replace it?

To answer your question, as long as you're sure its completely dry, yes, you can continue to use it. Blow it out with compressed air or leave it out in the sun a few days. You can always take it apart for maintenance while you're at it.

To answer your question, as long as you're sure its completely dry, yes, you can continue to use it. Blow it out with compressed air or leave it out in the sun a few days. You can always take it apart for maintenance while you're at it.

Put it back together and it is running fine, thanks for the advice.

For oxygenating the water yes, they can help.

For creating flow, not so much

Actually they don't add any oxygen to the water, common misconception. The bubbles lift water to the surface allowing a gas exchange. There is some movement here but seriously, and honestly why use an air stone do to this? At least, at the very minimum, step into 1984 and consider using powerheads to move water around. They do the exact same thing as a bubbler but way more efficient and tons better at moving water to the surface.

The air pump may die soon from oxidation caused by the saltwater. Never know may run an hour or for a year. If you are depending on it then I would get a backup air pump. I got some saltwater in an air pump and now it works sometimes, usually if I kick it will work for a couple of days and then stops again. Hmmmm kind of like some people I know :lol:

lol, I was born in 1983 and that is where my aquariums are staying.

For oxygenating the water yes, they can help.

For creating flow, not so much

Actually they don't add any oxygen to the water, common misconception. The bubbles lift water to the surface allowing a gas exchange. There is some movement here but seriously, and honestly why use an air stone do to this? At least, at the very minimum, step into 1984 and consider using powerheads to move water around. They do the exact same thing as a bubbler but way more efficient and tons better at moving water to the surface.

reading this thread, and i was thinking a gfci should be used so you dont electrocute your self or the live stock with it. as far as the air stones and blubbers. every time i see a salt tank in a show or movie they have them and i have always wondered why. i would not like the micro bubbles forming in the display. as far as it working after being wet. i would suggest you clean it with some 99% alcohol they sell pressurized cans of this at frys that are for electronic boards it will clean all the saltwater out of it and make it like new. i use it on most anything electrical that needs cleaning great stuff..