New guy

adamo

Another update. I found another clown in austin and picked him up last week. It is smaller than the one that is already in my tank. They dont seem to be getting along very well. The larger one keeps attacking the newer, smaller one. Don't really know what to do, i thought they would stop after a day or so but it hasn't. Another note, the larger clown laid eggs under some of my halimeda. Thoughts? Seems like the introduction of the smaller (male?) has induced this behavior.

Hmm. is it possible that they are both already female? One is larger than the other, but its just beating the little one up too much. Im going to see what i can do. I may end up putting it in a friend's tank so it can recuperate. Might have to get rid of it. Sucks. I wanted two.

your candy cane is topled over on the right side. and you might want to do a water change/change your media as you have protein bubbles building up on the surface. you corals appear to be browning out as well, I have some of the same frags you have and my color is very different. your rockscape looks good imo.

How old are your bulbs? do you have a protein skimmer in there?

you might want to consider one of these bulbs (or 2) as they have built in reflectors that can almost double the light output from pc bulbs.

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath= ********* 76&products_id=646&osCsid=eaoclf6t70ce9563v8uu77mqa0

Delete the stars in the middle for it to be functional. If the site admin deams this to be a breach of forum rules and deletes the link, then you would need to search for nanotuners on google, go to their pc-r bulb section in order to look at the lights ( new type of lightbulb)

Protein skimmer is on the way, gonna try my luck with the biocube skimmer as I found it very reasonably. The Chemipure is good for another month or so. I just switched the bulbs around to add.more color to the corals. I'm looking into a light upgrade now which adds a third bulb of my choice. I may go with a half and half bulb. I added supposedly quieter better flowing fans today but now my tank sounds like a 777. The candy cane is knocked down but I haven't fixed it yet because It has two small heads that you can't see that are in an weird position. Sorry for any error was on phone.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I updated everyone. After a few weeks of things going wrong and having big temperature fluctuations I have been putting in a lot more effort with my tank. It all started when i "upgraded" my fans and bulbs. I went with PC-R bulbs as they are better at producing light the regular PC's at a comparable price without having to do massive upgrades. Things looked good. The fans came in a few days later and i replaced the stock ones with. It took me a while to figure out that the temperature was causing the issue. I kept checking my water and doing 15% water changes and everything was consistently fine. The temperature outside had been fluctuating so much that my air conditioner couldn't keep the temp in the house constant. I started having heat issues and the tank would consistently be too hot, around 83. I had my peppermint shrimp, two snails, two crabs die off and my other stuff started looking bad. :( At this point, I decided i needed more airflow in the actual tank and put in additional fans in the back of the tank. This brought my temperatures back down to around 75-76, a little colder than i would like. I put in a heater and the temp has been consistent at 79 degrees for around a week. This is something that I should have done to begin with, just a rookie mistake. Today, I installed the NanoCustoms 3.24 light upgrade and the extra light has made my tank really look great. I'm excited to see how well things are going to grow now. I also have the ability to change the fan speed and i'm planning on playing with that a little bit. I'm ready to start stocking my tank back up a little. Any suggestions? I have one black clown and want another fish. I had two but they didn't get along very well and someone is looking after it. Any suggestions? Ill post some pics of the upgrade if anyone is interested.

Oh, also, I took the protein skimmer out. There wasn't enough room for it with the heater and I considered the heater greater priority right now. I may figure out a way to put it back in later, but it didn't seem like it was pulling much out.

Got a Yellow watchman goby, a new anemone, and a chalice last weekend. Tank is looking much better and my maze coral looks like its been given another life. Getting rid of my black ocelaris and replacing with two regular clowns that are going to host, hopefully.