Water change gone wrong

Nancy Christian

Alright, I have a 20 gallon saltwater tank with a small damsel, dwarf lionfish, and snowflake eel. I do realizine that the tank is going to be too small in a few months and I am prepared for that. However, I recently perform a 50% water change on this tank last night using tap water since I had no distilled water on hand. I used a dechlorinator, the proper amount of saltmix, and made sure the temperature matched that of the tank. This morning, I noticed the lionfish breathing rapibly and being very lethargic in its movement. I am planning on running to RiverCity to get some of their reverse osmosis saltwater, however, I am afraid that by performing another water change, I may be putting my fish at higher risk. Should I wait this out, or perform another water change tonight? If I perform the water change, what percent should it be?

The first thing that comes to mind is the chemistry of the new water. Did you test to make sure the salinity and pH of the old and new water matched (or at least were close)? I've seen (as well as heard anecdotal reports) that the mixing instructions on salt mixes tend to be inconsistent. It is also possible that the salinity and pH of your tank water had shifted due to evaporation, top offs, etc. to not match the specs of newly mixed water, and that could be causing stress. Also, when you mixed the new water, did you let it sit (or, better yet, circulate) after mixing and adding dechlorinator, or did you use it immediately? If you didn't let it "age" it's possible that the dechlorinator didn't have a chance to fully neutralize the chlorine before being added, and I've heard that freshly mixed saltwater tends to be somewhat irritating if used immediately after mixing, but I'm sure opinions on that vary.

Perhaps a series of small daily water changes (5-10% or so) with RO saltwater adjusted to your pH and salinity. Adding a large amount of 1.026 water (which is usually what comes from the LFS) to your tank will definitely be stressful for your fish.

Also, I'd say test the new water with the same hydrometer you usually use before adding it. In my experience swing arm hydrometers (if that's what you're using) are almost always inaccurate, but they are typically consistently (with themselves) inaccurate.