Help Adjusting a skimmer

dweyant

I've had my skimmer up and running for about a week.

This is on a new tank, with nothing but live rock (and some hitchikers) right now.

Today I came home and the skimmer was producing a lot of foam, i.e. filling the chamber with very wet bubbles.

I slowly opened the valve (per the instructions) to try and get the skimmate adjusted. However, I now have the valve all the way open, and have even started to choke off the air intake, and it is still producing large amounts of very wet bubbles.

How should I adjust this thing?

Thanks,

-Dan

It is an in sump skimmer.

I have it elevated just a bit so that the outflow is just above the water level in the sump. Nothing new lately, just a new tank. I think the tank is cylcled. All of the readings have started to stabilize just in the last day or so.

-Dan

Edited by dweyant

Most skimmers like to be in 8-10" of water. I would lower the skimmer to where the out flow is under water it might be causing the problem. Also a brand new shimmer will create a lot of bubbles for a few days, it just takes time to break in. What brand and model do you have?