in need of BioCube Refugium thoughts and Chaeto

TeresaG23

Hello Austin and surrounding area reefers! I am new to this group and to reef keeping period. Just started my saltwater biocube December 8, 2009. Everything is going great except for ongoing suspended particles in my water and ongoing algae issues (dust/film and hair i believe), which my rainfordi goby, emerald crab, snails and hermits appear to enjoy, but i want to better help keep it under control. Using API's master reef saltwater testing kit, all my parameters are either 0 or just near, CA and alk are high naturally due to my well water i use in my tank which flows through the local limestone below our surface and i am doing 15-20% WC every 2 weeks currently. You can see what i currently have in my tank below, but after setting it up, i am thinking about converting the middle compartment into a refugium, but i still want to use my purigen, chemi pure and poly filter in the same compartment if possible/needed. I want to do the least amount of cutting to my biocube as possible. I am currently looking at InTank's media basket and fuge basket to keep both my filtration and add some macro algae for a refugium. Installation appears to be simple, but i see that i will have to pry up the false floor of the second chamber to install either or both baskets. after watching the demos from their website http://www.mediabask...onstration.html, I cant conceptualize why or how the water flow will go up into the fuge portion before entering the third chamber. If my physics are correct, I feel that the water immediately exiting the media basket will be the first to enter the third chamber and return to the display portion of my tank. Has anyone experienced this issue or any others using InTank's baskets??? I can visualize rectifying this issue by using a piece of plastic, acrylic and epoxy to affix it in the middle of the bottom section to help encourage water flow up into the fuge, but i wanted to get what others have experienced using these baskets, if anyone has had any issues with them, or if anyone had any other DIY suggestions for starting an easy refugium in my biocube. if there area other media baskets out there and how well they work would be nice to know too.

Once i figure out a system i intend to use with help from all of you who are interested in responding with suggestions, I will need some Chaeto or Culpera. Which one is better or is there something else better to use in a 'fuge and does anyone know where i can find some in the Austin or surrounding areas?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Edited by TeresaG23

You are correct that water will flow from the bottom of the second chamber into the third chamber.

I have two BioCubes, both with various mods including the InTank media racks. From my experience with this product, I have found it necessary to keep the water level in the third chamber at the first "ledge" from the top. In my 8-gallon, I run polyfil in the top, chemipure in the middle, and chaeto in the bottom to keep the macro submerged. My 5watt submersible metal halide also requires it to be fully submerged to prevent overheating. One issue that I noticed with keeping chaeto in the lower section of the rack is that the macro will fragment easily. I removed the sponge between the second and third chamber to prevent build up of detritus and increase flow, and the fragments of chaeto tend to clog the pump.

In my other set-up, I only run mechanical and chemical filtration in the rack, polyfil and chemipure. Instead of placing chaeto in the rack, I chose to mod an AC filter to create a HOB refugium. This allows me to have more macro in my system and allows easy access for maintenance, etc.

Also, please note, that if you have or want to add a skimmer in the future, some skimmers for the BioCubes will either use the first or second chamber, and this may require modification of the water directing piece that comes with the rack or removal of the rack completely. I chose to place a modded BioCube skimmer in the main tank area and found that this tends to produce more skimmate.

If you want to increase flow, you may want to upgrade to a higher ghp maxi-jet pump. Another way to increase flow is to remove the elbow that connects the tubing leading out of the pump to the return. Also, if you are noticing surface skimming issues, some individuals have had success with blocking off 2-3 of lower grates and/or upper grates of the first chamber.

Hope this helps!

Absolut _racer - thanks for the info. I thought about adding Chaeto to the bottom of the 3rd compartment of just the simple media rack..... to prevent fragmenting and clogging up the return, would it be plausible to put that sponge or a different one on the bottom of that compartment before water is returned to the pump? I have never heard of a HOB refugium. what is that exactly? do you think adding a piece of plastic in the middle of the bottom of the fuge basket might help direct flow into and out of the fuge basket? again - thanks for the insight.

I haven't had any experience with modding the second chamber to direct flow. To prevent clogging of the pump, I would leave the sponge in between the second and third chamber in and clean frequently. The HOB refugium mod that I have done uses an AquaClear filter and have included a picture below. Note: Picture was sourced from another reef keeping forum.

post-1007-12641688464711_thumb.jpg