RO/DI questions?

wayneb

Got a couple of questions concerning RO/DI systems:

Have the BSR 75gpd 5 stage unit that will be used only for aquariums and a refridgerator ice maker in the garage (at least for the near future).

1. Can I put a flow restrictor on the DI unit and limit output to only salt water mixing barrel? Will this extend life of resin? Will have an auto shut off float valve in barrel.

2. Can I add an auto timer shut off valve to the unit's input line to limit initial operation of unit for only a few hours a day or will an auto shut off float also being added to the RO barrel be sufficient? If a timer is also recommended- any ideas as to which one, source, etc.?

3. The unit is being tapped off the cold water washer input line. Is a shut off valve in the laundry room recommended? Realize possibly overkill but can I also add another shut off valve in garage to make it easier to change out filter cartridges without having to run back and forth?

4. Am going with two pressure guages - one before unit and one after RO unit. Should I add a 3rd after DI unit? Or is it easy to see when the DI filter needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/answers/recommendations. All are appreciated.

wayneb

I'll help with what I can:

Timers: I use one but strongly recommend having a second method of shutting off the flow such as a float switch. I came home to an approx 40 gallon overflow one day and learned this lesson.

While pressure gauges can be helpful to determin when to replace the membrane I use and recommend a TDS tester. Fairly inexpensive and really gets to the heart of the matter.

I'll help with what I can:

Timers: I use one but strongly recommend having a second method of shutting off the flow such as a float switch. I came home to an approx 40 gallon overflow one day and learned this lesson.

While pressure gauges can be helpful to determin when to replace the membrane I use and recommend a TDS tester. Fairly inexpensive and really gets to the heart of the matter.

Gonzobob,

I agree a TDS tester will be needed and will probably get the pro model in the near future (pro because I like, need the large digital readout).

Went back on line to BSR to check further on the float valve. Didn't realize at the time that the valve wasn't a switch = have an email in to BSR asking if it is possible to purchase the shut off kits without the float valves since I have/will have them on hand.

Appreciate the input.

wayneb