Tank Brands?

Wippit

I've used a variety of brands over the years and generally don't pay much attention to the brand. The only tanks I've had any trouble with (1 aqueon and 1 oceanic) had both sat empty for long periods). That being said when looking at a tank I do recommend checking a few items:

When was the last time it held water

Where has it been stored (inside, garage, outside)

When used what type of tank was run

If freshwater does the owner know if copper based treatements were used in the tank

Check the fit and finish of the glass panels

Check the seals, are the rigid, are the pulling away from teh glass

Currently I have aqueon, oceanic, jbj, current usa, tunze, carolina, and a couple unknowns

• Like 1

I like the Oceanics, but that's just because that's what my tank is :) I replaced my old tank with a new Oceanic because I wanted to install a wavebox, and Bruce at Aquatek warned me that it was playing with fire to put a wavebox on a tank of unknown age, since they strain the seals and older tanks will often spring leaks with a wavebox pushing on them. I like how heavy-duty the glass on my Oceanic is, plus the front panel is Starphire glass. So there's my vote.

I have noticed that All-Glass Aquariums are made of really thin glass compared to other brands. They're lighter, but they tend to have more bracing too, and I prefer something more durable.

Edited by Meteorflower
  • Like 1