cyano on rocks and glass?

chrisfowler99

I had a battle with cyano on the sandbed. Used two doses of Red Slime Remover and haven't seen it since.

But my rocks still have a coating of "brown", there is a brown coating on the coraline on the back glass and some new rocks I have introduced are starting to turn brown too.

Some of the spots of "brown" are actually more of a brighter "rust" color.

Was just checking my RO/DI water...1-2 TDS post DI (which is the lowest I ever see it, even when just installed).

I may be over feeding. I'm going to try cutting back.

Water parameters have been good. I'm going to test again this afternoon and see what my exact numbers are.

I do have some very bright purple coraline that seems to be making a comeback. I'm wondering if I just need a larger and more appropriate cleanup crew to get the rocks cleaned up.

Trying to figure out what I can do short of pulling the rocks and scrubbing.

I had a battle with cyano on the sandbed. Used two doses of Red Slime Remover and haven't seen it since.

But my rocks still have a coating of "brown", there is a brown coating on the coraline on the back glass and some new rocks I have introduced are starting to turn brown too.

Some of the spots of "brown" are actually more of a brighter "rust" color.

Was just checking my RO/DI water...1-2 TDS post DI (which is the lowest I ever see it, even when just installed).

I may be over feeding. I'm going to try cutting back.

Water parameters have been good. I'm going to test again this afternoon and see what my exact numbers are.

I do have some very bright purple coraline that seems to be making a comeback. I'm wondering if I just need a larger and more appropriate cleanup crew to get the rocks cleaned up.

Trying to figure out what I can do short of pulling the rocks and scrubbing.

3 days of darkness always knocked out my cyano. CUC never touched it.

I'd vacuum off as much as you can with an airline tube. Then do 3 days of darkness. That should lick it. Then watch your feeding.

why is your TDS 1-2? Should be 0. The water coming into my system is 175 and even then, I get 0 coming out the system.

How old is your RO membrane and DI media?

3 days of darkness always knocked out my cyano. CUC never touched it.

I'd vacuum off as much as you can with an airline tube. Then do 3 days of darkness. That should lick it. Then watch your feeding.

why is your TDS 1-2? Should be 0. The water coming into my system is 175 and even then, I get 0 coming out the system.

How old is your RO membrane and DI media?

Mine's well over 200 coming into the system. Drops to 29-31 coming out of RO and down to 1-2 coming out of DI.

It did it when it was brand new.

And does it again after changing it out. The media is less than 2 months old.

I've done darkness. That helped what was on the sand, but it kept coming back. The Red Slime Remove seems to have ended that.

But the darkness never seemed to affect what is on the rocks.

I'd say suck off the stuff on the rocks and try the darkness again.

For your RO/DI, you might have to add second membrane or another DI canister to get the TDS down to 0. BRS's water saver unit might help or just another vertical canister.

I also have an horizontal DI unit that I'd let you borrow to see if it helped. You'd just need to fill it with DI resin, hook it into your system and give it a go.

I have one you could use if you want.

Thanks for letting me borrow it. It taught me an interesting lesson in...I don't know what the hell...

TDI coming in: 260

TDI after RO: 30

TDI after DI: 2

TDI in my RO/DI container: 70 willy_nilly.gif

I think I've got some work to do. :)

Looking at rebuilding the whole system and plumbing it in to my tank to simplify water changes...that may be coming sooner rather than later. :(

Now if I can just find a good source for some translucent 50ish gallon containers...

I have no freaking clue. It's covered. I can't think of how anything go t in there.

The only thing I can think of is that some of the saltwater got back into it.

But then I wouldn't have any problems because, when mixing the saltwater, I'm getting the right salinity...

I tasted the RO/DI water and it didn't taste salty...

Have you checked your phospate levels? If your not running any kind of phosban reactor I would recommend picking one up. Even if your phosphate is reading 0 it is still possible to have some in the water. Something else you might try is Chemi-pure Elite. It comes in a small bag that you set in any high flow area. It cleared up a small cyano problem that I was having in a matter of a few days. Plus the water was crystal clear. Great stuff!!