Couple of quick questions

capty99

I bought a tomato clown today and dropped him into a tank with two 3-stripe damsels and a coral beauty angel. The coral beauty I know can be a bossy son-of-a and right upon dropping in the clown he started pushing him around. No nipping, just chasing, but will they eventually be alright? I'm watching them close now and it seems to have calmed down. The beauty has a 2:1 size advantage so I didn't think it would be an issue.

also, just dropped in some green star polyps - whats a normal time for them to open up?

and finally, whats the best way to mount a red monti cap - the side of rock or the top (and its sitting under a MH - so I assume height shouldn't matter in the tank?)

thanks guys

I bought a tomato clown today and dropped him into a tank with two 3-stripe damsels and a coral beauty angel. The coral beauty I know can be a bossy son-of-a and right upon dropping in the clown he started pushing him around. No nipping, just chasing, but will they eventually be alright? I'm watching them close now and it seems to have calmed down. The beauty has a 2:1 size advantage so I didn't think it would be an issue.

also, just dropped in some green star polyps - whats a normal time for them to open up?

and finally, whats the best way to mount a red monti cap - the side of rock or the top (and its sitting under a MH - so I assume height shouldn't matter in the tank?)

thanks guys

#1...give it a day or two...the CB will probably lay off. My clown bites anything new that comes into the tank just to check him out, then proceeds to follow the newbie around the tank for a day or two to make sure he's one of the crew. Your CB is probably doing the same thing.

#2: usually pretty quick. Should take more than a couple of hours, maybe a day or two if the conditions between the old tank and new tank are very different

#3: Either way. I like on the side as they'll grow out and make a ledge. Or get a magnet and have them grow on the glass.

• Like 1

I concur. It will take a little while for them to get used to each other. I have a Lamarck's Angel and a Yellow Eye Kole Tang that are about the same size. They still squabble a little bit but do not harm each other.

I have had Tomatos in the past. You don't need to worry about them, they can definitely hold their own. I would recommend keeping your fingers closed tightly together when reaching in the tank. The ones I had would go for the fleshy spots between my fingers.