How long do you quarantine fish & invertebrates?

Tony.and.Deb

We had a 29 gallon marine tank for 8 months with several fish, a star fish, hermit crabs, snails, and a cleaner shrimp. No excuses, but we did not use the quarantine procedure and introduced a sick fish to the tank (Ich). Needless to say in a matter of a month we had lost all the fish but one clown fish and the invertebrates. We would like to save the remaining livestock and put them in a new tank. We have set up a new 65 gallon tank and it is starting its' cycle. We put the clownfish in a 10 gallon quarantine tank after doing a methylene blue fresh water dip. We are treating his tank with copper. How long does the clownfish need to be treated with copper and when would it be safe to put him in the new tank. Then we have questions about the invertebrates. They are currently in a separate 10 gallon quarantine tank but have not been treated with anything. Will they ever be able to be put in the new tank without causing problems. If so, how long should they be quarantined, can or how would you treat them, and when would it be safe to put them in the new tank? We would really appreciate your help. Also, what is the general rule for how long you should quarantine new livestock before adding it to your main system.

Thanks, Tony

Well for me, I don't buy fish anymore, just corals. When I was buying fish and inverts for my reef tank, I kept them in the Quarantine for 1 month to make sure if they are sick I can treat them. Also feed them the type of food that I feed the main tank to get the more acclimated with everything. None dies after I did that method... o good luck. Ohh I also have coral to sell to you if your interested.

-Joseph

4 weeks is the recommended minimum for QT. The inverts cannot be treated with copper. As far as I know they don't carry the Ich parasite. So if they were in QT for 4 weeks as well (the life cycle of Ich) then any cysts that may have been on their shells would have died off by then with no host. If I am incorrect someone please correct me.