Coral ID Challenge

SoonerFan

Ok guys and gals, just posting for a little Friday evening fun:

Who can correctly ID this to Genus and species (no common names)? Here is a hint, it probably isn't what you think. I purchased this over the Christmas holidays at a LFS in Norman, Oklahoma.

1-19-07045.jpg

Try to get it without the books (but I will tell you I have only found one picture and very few Reef Central references to this coral).

Best of Luck,

Lee

So it isn't a scolymia?

That would be correct, it isn't a scolymia. That was what I figured it would be as well. To give you a feel, a search on Reef Central on the latin name had about 5 or 6 hits.

Here are some hints:

1.) The flesh is very thin.

2.) There is only one "mouth" and there are short tentacles around the mouth at night.

3.) It isn't "meaty" in any sense of the word.

4.) It is a part of a very popular coral genus.

Lee

I love finding corals that are reality unknown are not that available (usually because they haven't been declared rare or given a cutsey name) for almost nothing. This thing opens up like a scolymia at night but has such thin tissue. It actually swells (the tissue) at night as weel.

Developing some sweet rainbow like colors as well!!

I will have to figure out if this frags like other corals that Anthony Caflo says by just running it face first into a ceramic tile saw.

Lee