Phoenix 14k vs Reeflux 10k on Icecap 250w ballast

Bmwaaron

Anyone have any experience with these bulbs on Icecap ballast? I'm looking at the 250w de bulbs.

I will be running 2 of them in Lumenarc mini reflectors. I have heard that the Reeflux 10k bulb is very good but I am currently running a 12k Reeflux and it looks dim to me. Has anyone run the 12k and 10k reeflux and knows if there is a difference in brightness?

I've run both the 10k and 12k in DE 250w. The 10k was brighter, but the colors of my corals seemed washed out the farther down the coral I went. With the 12k, it isn't as bright but I'm much more pleased with color. I also supplement with (2) 24" T5 true actinics.

John

John I thought that the 10 and the 12k were basically the same spectrum but the 12k had a little more blue and it was just because it lost some of the other color spectrum. Wouldn't this make the 10k a better choice for color?

If I just decided to go with the 14k phoenix would I need to run supplemental lighting?

I want to have the best color and light penetration all the way to the bottom of my tank (24" with 4" sand bed) using 2 250w Icecap ballast.

Also John what size tank are you running the 12k de reeflux's on?

Gabriel what ballast are you using? I have never heard of the Reeflux 10k's looking yellow.

No, the 12k is a bluer bulb, resulting in less par getting to the corals. The energy of the bulb is less, but it also has more blue light (460nm range). David from Coralvue said the difference in PAR between the 12 and 10k is about 25%.

I run the 12k on what's basically a 58.