Getting rid of silt

AlexKilpatrick

I've always heard that if you run your pumps it helps to move some of the stuff around that can be filtered out. But, you shouldn't do it if the silt is actually getting into your pumps, as it can sometimes damage them. I just recently started up my tank with about 50lbs of white sugar sand....silt everywhere. We ran our return pump with no ill effects, and we ended up putting a phosphorus pad in our overflow chamber so the overflow could run over that. It really seemed to help remove some gunk. The cloudiness settled out in about a week. All it takes is some patience :)

Personally, I would let the pumps run, but I'd add a filter sock on your overflow pipe so that all that junk doesn't settle in the sump. If you leave the circulation pumps off, won't you disturb the sand when they do turn on? I think it'd be better to let the silt settle on its own and just collect and remove what ends up going through the overflow.