fish in bad health

russell

i have a "dory" and a blue jawed trigger that are in bad health. something is going wrong with my tank and cant figure it out. they are both on the bottom of the tank in bad health and i was wondering if anyone wanted to come get them to maybe save them or have any advice on what i can do. the dory has splotches and signs of ick but at times will get up and swim. i have looked on line and all i can find is it may be something wrong with their air bladder. my water has been checked by a couple of stores and is fine.i just dont know what to do with the fish at this point. i dont want them to die.

I'd offer to take them and try to save them, but I've only been in this hobby for a few months, so I don't think I have the experience to succeed. The one thing I would strongly recommend, though, is to get them out of your main tank if possible into a quarantine tank. I would suspect that if whatever has sickened them is contagious everything else has been exposed as well, but moving them into a QT will allow you to treat them without treating your entire tank if someone does come through with suggestions. There are many articles online about successful QT setups, they don't have to be fancy, a 10 or 20g tank or even a large bucket can do in a pinch, add some water circulation, heat, minimal light, and an appropriate sized hiding place or two.

Also, if you haven't already, consider posting in the emergency section of the forum, with as much detail as you can: photos, descriptions, actual water test values, a timeline of the events surrounding them getting sick (additions, deaths, accidents, water changes, etc). Any details can be useful to help someone figure out what's wrong.

I really hope it someone is able to help you get them turned around, we have a really good group of people here that I'm sure will do whatever they can to help.

Best of luck,

Jeremy

Sorry to hear that. The big issue now is to try and identify whether there is something amiss in your tank which might have led to the deaths. How long did you have the fish? What do you keep your tank temperature at?

Sounds like it was ich based on what you shared. In the future it'll be a good idea to pull out sick fish, put them into a small tank or bucket with a powerhead and air stone and medicate them. Copper based treatments work very well on ich and many other parasites, but they are not reef-safe, so don't put these medications in your main tank.

Daniel

I noticed your status said you "just put a ground in your tank, now to get fish"? I would not be so hasty. I would try to figure out what happened to the to that passed away first, or at the very least, do a water change and wait a while. It is possible that what killed the last 2 fish is still in/is the water.

The problem is solved. It was electrical current running through my tank thats why I added the ground. I had read a thread on here about grounds and checked my tank for the same and there it was. I treated for ich when my regal started looking funny but the trigger had no signs of ich and I did a 25 gallon water change on a 100g after all of the fish were out. What else would you suggest I do?

If it was electrical, I would suggest monitoring to see if you started to recycle. It is possible other unseen things died from the current. just monitor your levels for a while, and if you see no spikes you should be fine. Be careful if you buy something "expendable" like a damsel. they are cheap, but are a pain to catch later, and can be mean little things to new fish.