Seahorse help

Viet-tin

ok I got them eating something and now I see this weird spot on the face of one of my horses. Ill try and get a pic up tomorrow as my lights are off but im hoping its not vibrio. I looked it up and so far doesnt look like the pictures im seeing but maybe this is the begining of the infection. Im seeing a red spot on the side of the head with a few white-yellowish pimples on the sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok now both my horses have it and it looks like vibriosis...anyone know where I can find meds for them locally? Right now they're still swimming and eating and the spots haven't gotten any bigger...I hope they aren't doomed please help!

Hey Viet...don't panic just yet because if they have vibrio, all the seahorses would be infected, and mine are not. Some may dodge that bullet, but not likely. It would be improbable that you have the only 2 seahorses that have vibrio. Also, the ones at RCA are still happy and healthy. Vibrio works from the inside out, and very quickly. When I thought a batch of horses I had about 6 months ago had vibrio, I used a heavy salt water dip...I forget the ratio, but just google vibrio and you'll find that answer. I believe there is a product called furan? that also can help. Keep me posted!!

Laura

Flesh-Erosion Disease

Causes/Problems

Raging bacterial infections such as those associated with the consumption of seahorse flesh are spread through contamination of uninfected seahorses with infected seahorses. Often the causative agent, the bacterial genus Vibrio in most cases of flesh erosion, will lay dormant unless given the opportunity to become active. This opportunity usually coincides with a deterioration of water quality. With proper quarantine and treatment, however, this disease can be avoided altogether.

Symptoms:

• erosion/sloughing of the flesh
  • cloudy eyes
  • rapid breathing
  • swelling

Infections of this type, almost always bacterial, can cause an awful death for seahorses. The disease manifests itself by consuming the seahorse's flesh all the way to the bone, causing irreparable damage that leads to death.

Treatment

The best treatment for bacterial infections is always preventative quarantine, but if an infection is present in the tank, hospitalization of the infected specimens and treatment with antibacterial agents is the only solution.

Combination drugs such as Furan II and Paragon II are often most effective at combating bacterial infections. These drugs cover both spectrums of bacteria (gram+ and gram-), and can usually halt progression within days. Use the marine dose per the manufacturer's instructions. Drugs from the tetracycline family may also be of some help, specifically doxycycline and oxytetracycline, though they may be somewhat difficult to get a hold of. Topical treatments such as neomycin (Neosporin) and iodine or formalin solutions (1 cup water to 15 drops of either or both) used three to four times daily on the affected area can also help in controlling the progression of the disease.

Advances are being made in the way of creating seahorse vaccines that could possibly eliminate the occurrence of infections of this type. The most likely causative agent in most cases is Vibrio sp., a bacterium with high resistance to most drugs available to hobbyists and institutions alike.

If the disease returns, the infected horses will need to be requarantined, the display tank may have to be scrubbed down, and all equipment may have to be sterilized with bleach. Be careful not to allow any sterilization chemicals to make their way back into the aquarium as this will destroy the essential denitrifying bacteria present in the aquarium's bacterial filter bed. If this does not arrest the occurrence of flesh-eating bacteria, the seahorses may have to be relocated to a new display system.

With vibrio, you would see holes on their body and it looks like the flesh is being eaten and will spread...their bodies actually look like their are decompsing, which the are, from the inside out sad.gif

I am not an expert, but I don't think they would have lasted this long...it moves quickly...keep me updated please!!

Where are you getting this diagnosis from? Just curious....I just came back from RCA and checked the horses that were left and all is good...I am feeding mine presently and again, they are chasing the food like maniacs and I see no signs of anything unusual.

Do you think both ponies are infected?

Is there behavior normal?

Hope the furan works for yousmile.gif

I was looking at seahorse.org in there library and found pictures that look exactly what I have. They both have different things and are acting normal right now still going at ghost shrimp when I feed swimming upright and still look healthy all except those little spots.

ok heres an update. The horses are still doing good eating and swimming like normal. The erosion of the flesh has stopped although I can see the poor guys(think it might be a girl) skull or crown. The pimples on the other one are disappearing and still not sure what it could be. Hopefully they will pull through this...Thanks for all the help and support!

Just keep feeding them and make sure they are eating. I am mixing frozen mysis along with the live brine ands grass shrimp. All is good here. I hope that for you too, Viet. I also do water changes at last twice a week because of all the live foodsmile.gif

Laura

So sorry to hear that...sad.gif I never used Furan myself...are you supposed to use it consecutively? That would be my only guess that it was too much for the poor pony...or it was the stress...when it was laying on its side like that last night, there was nothing more that could have been done.

Sorry Viet.....