aquarium repair

medi

I found an aquarium I want to but, but the catch is that it was dropped on the front side and now the bottom pane is chipped on both corners. I believe it is all cosmetic as it still holds water, but I am not sure I want to take the chance. Does anyone know how to effectively replace a pane of glass on an aquarium, or does anyone know of someone that does this on the side? Also, does anyone have any ideas how to reinforce the corners to make sure I don't have a blowout? I appreciate any ideas as I really like the aquarium and am hoping to make it work.

One quick option is to have a piece of glass the same thickness cut at a glass shop ever so slightly smaller than the inside dimensions of the tank. Remove all the silicone from the tank using a razor blade. Clean everything very well using diluted acids or acetone. Next you place the blue removal tape along every pane of glass about 1/2" away from the corner, take your time and make it look good. On the bottom of the tank, take into account that your new edge will be the thickness of the new glass so it will be higher. Next get out your GE silicone, the kind without mildew inhibitor. I believe it is Silicone I. You can get it in array of colors as well as "clear" if you like the look of black seams. Now make a gasket along the bottom of the tank along the edge, make it a little thick as you want it to push up when you push the pane down. Also make a few zig-zags along the entire bottom of the tank and then smooth it over the entire bottom. Place the pane of glass down over the bottom of the tank and lightly push down. Put on some rubber gloves and keep a small bowl of water handy. With a wet finger tip begin to work the wet silicone along the bottom edge smoothing it as if were the finished product, for the most part it is. Before this dries, apply your silicone along the four corners. Generally a nice 1/4" bead will smooth out nicely to your tape. Smooth it out as you did the bottom seal.

Now you have 2 options. I like to begin removing the tape before the silicone dries. It can lift the silicone a little and you may have to rework it some. Another option I've heard of is to allow the silicone to dry for 24 hours and then use a razor blade to cut through the silicone right along the edge of the tape and then remove the tape.

This is very laborious and I would not put forth the effort for a tank under 125g. I've done a few tanks like this but I find it to be a pain. At least the pane of glass is not broken. Then you have to completely remove every panel and then put new silicone BETWEEN the panes to make a proper seal.

i am in the paint and body industry and i have chipped the edge of a winshield b4 only 2 c that in a few weeks it cracks, but if its the pic ive seen it looks clean, u can used epoxy or even rearview mirror adhesive on the corner and remake it. Wont look as good but its all up to you