Wave tanks?

Christian

A wave box is one of the ways you can make your tank water sway back and forth. Essentially it is a box with a powerhead that is cycled on and off. When the powerhead is on, a surge of water is pumped from the box into the tank. When the powerhead cycles off, tank water flows back into the box through the powerhead opening. The whole contraption is controlled by a timer that allows you to adjust the frequency of the cycles. When it's all set up correctly, it can create a pretty impressive wave in the tank. I think there's a thread in the DIY section about building one.

Hmmm, A refugium by definition needs light as you would be growing macro algae in it. I have seen a lot of mods to make a refugium out of a wet/dry. That being said, the light you need you can get just from home depot in the electronics section for maybe 20$ with a bulb that macro will like a lot. Generally you want a plant growing bulb at 6500K. Get a screw in type and pick up one of the cheap worklights. This is the same setup I have and it works great.

You could make a deep sand bed bucket type system but would not get planktonic benifits. It would just be for the removal of nitrates. Not a bad goal at all.

ok, instead of making another topic i will ask here. how much calcium should be in a tank with out stony corals? And if I add stony corals to the tank will it bring down the amount of calcium. I have lights from my 20g tank that I was making rimless but it broke so I made one of my 10g rimless and it's sitting dry on my dresser right now but I might put my clowns in it because they are being mean to my other fish. ( the clowns in my 55g tank.)

Something I just found out. Aquatec sells bulk 2 part if you bring in your own bottles. I think it might be the brand from bulk reef supply but don't remember right now. (Sorry been moving all day and about ready to crash.) Anyways, its like 4$ for a half gallon bottle refill. Ask them about it the next time you are there.