what is it?

Christian

It is an orange ball anemone. They are not photosynthetic, thus the reason why they close up during the day. Some consider them a pest. I have them in my tank, and they spread ... a lot! I have tried killing a few that were inbetween some zoas by injecting them with lemon juice, but that didn't work. I think I will try injecting them with my 2 part calcium next.

In general most people consider Mojano and Aptasia to be the two 'kill on sight' nems. There are of course other pest or nusance nems. Choices vary. I have 4 Mojano's in one of my tanks and have had for 3-4 months without them spreading.

You are very lucky they have not spread. I tore down a tank with SPS colonies the size of dinner plates because of them. They can spread VERY rapidly. The one thing I found that kills them is Blue-life's aiptasia killer. No other product would work for me.

Kalk paste is the best way to kill them all. I even use it to stop the spread of GSP, zoas, and nuisance Paly's. Mix up about 2 tablespoons of Kalk to a shot glass of water. It should be liquid enough to draw into a medium sized syringe. No need for a needle. Make a pass squirting some over the mouths of the anemones. Then come back when they are all balled up and completely cover them with kalk. If you are trying to wipe out thousands, don't do it all at once or your PH will swing like crazy. I will knock out about 10 a day that way. I had noticed about a dozen closely packed majano's the other night and within 3 hours you could not find a spec of the anemones. They were dead and dissolved completely away.

• 2 weeks later...

ive had these in my 180 for about 3 yrs they are in fact nonphotosynthetic they are not mango or aptasia in that time they have not spread i started with about three of them witch i discovered whlie doing maintenance not one has ever sought to be in the light quite the oppisite they inhabit my internal reef structure i can count about 9 now there a very intresting additon to my night time viewing mine have a yellow base with white and clear tentacles with arcospheres on the end i believe its a deepwater corallimorpharian( pseudocorynactis cabovredensis) if i had to guess but a close up would help