Price of Salt

Jbrougher

How much does a bucket of Reef Crystals cost at RCA?

I believe it runs $49.99 Reg. for bucket 160 gallon mix, but they'll be having a sale on July 18th from 11 am to 8 pm. It'll be on sale for $39.99. If you look on the Sponsor's Forum, you'll see the sales they'll be having.

Or you can buy it for a fair price from one of the gracious sponsors right here in our hometown. Not only are you supporting them, but in return it supports all of ARC. I have yet to see Marine Depot step up to help the club in any way. Personally since the average is $50 anywhere for a bucket of salt I cannot fathom why you wouldn't just pick it up from a sponsor and thank them for being there for the club. I just want to point out how threads like this can be a slap in the face to those that choose to help each and every one of us local reef keepers.

Though I edited my post I do have an issue with this. Let me start out by saying that I frequent all of our sponsors. I've asked more dumb and stump the chump type questions at RCA and aquatec then I care to imagine. My ghost shrimp and RO bill probably pays for someones salary at aquatec. My next tank build is depending on epic reef still being there. Heck, I just got a coco worm from the dome and I live way north. And I just partipated in thengroup order for reef cleaners and plan on stocking my next aquarium CUC entirely from them.

The thing is that this is an expensive hobby. And, when we get together and do a group order for marine depot I do see a 25% or so discount. Not sharing this information with others in our hobby would be counter-productive to what I see as the primary purpose of this board which is the dissemination of fishy type reef information. Where u can get expensive reef supplies for cheaper certianly falls in this category.

I certianly do not want to start a flame or anything and I know I am still reletively new here. I have a lot of personal respect for you specifically crmike. Your BR octopus tank is one of my inspirations in this hobby. But should we be editing our posts in favor of a sponsor when the factually correct answer points to a third party vendor?

Or as I say, and do, if you felt so strongly then you should not feel "shame" for saying it and should have left your reply alone.

How are you so sure that my reply was even aimed at you? I think you jumped the gun on that one as my reply was not meant for you....

Then my apologies, mea culpa.

I do in my life try to support local businesses as much as possible and will always choose a sponsor over someone else random all things being equal. Just wanted to make sure we were within standard guidelines to post a lower price at a non-sponsors site. One of the things I love about this community is the trading and group orders that allow me to have a beautiful reef within my budget, where if I only went with the LFS I just would have to pack it all in and quit the hobby because i couldn't support it financially.

On the same vein, if someone asked "hey, i'm thinking about doing an order with coral fanatics because their prices are so cheap" I would strongly advise against it as I had some very bad service and product when i did do an order of zoa's from them a few months back.

I assumed the post was directed at me as my first reply was not "just go to RCA and pick it up" but rather pointing to a MD group buy where I did receive a substantial discount when in conjunction with a group buy. That being said, if I had had to pay shipping charges RCA would be much cheaper.

Again, not trying to flame or anything. Just making sure I understand our policies of what is valid to post and not. Can we just all make up and call this a dead thread at this point?