Reverse osmosis

mhart032

I recently bought an RO filtration system. its a 24gpd, my question is can i put a 50gpd membrane in it? their is no size difference b/t the 24 and 50 so the 50 will fit.. also can i use any membrane for any RO as long as it fits?

i am pretty sure that is all you would need to do.just change the flow restrictor and the membrane.one thing to keep in mind before going too high is that from what i have heard the less gpd ones have a higher rejection rate than the more gpd ones.

I converted my 50GPD to a 75GPD by just changing the membrane and restrictor. The flow restrictor is usually in the drain line. On my unit, I unscrew the drain line from the fitting and the restrictor sits right there. They are like $2 to replace. Hope this helps, feel free to PM with and questions.

Ive checked all the hoses and through out the unit and i dont see one. unless its built into something or maybe it doesnt have one. it seems to be fine making good water and fairly quick.. maybe it was already pulled off prior..

If there is no flow restrictor, you are not making RO water. Be sure to look inside the fitting that comes off the RO housing. On my unit, if I remove the waste tube from the 90* elbow, the flow restrictor is inside the fitting. Some are actually slipped into the end of hose that connects to the fitting.

oh ok it mite be their. ill look again. mine is a coralife pureflo II premium..

Same here. I just upgraded it to a higher capacity. In that case, the restrictor is in the 90* waste water joint (red tube). Mine was gray, but the color changes depending on the rating.

i had an old coralife 24 gpd unit that did not have a flow restrictor.i dont know how or why but it didnt.both the 75 gpd and 100gpd membranes i have had one and i would assume to change to a different flow rate membrane you would need to change it.it was a white platic tube with male fittings on each end.it has a valve on it to turn either to make water or if you open it it flows fast from the waste tube "flushing" the membrane.

you can order the different flow restrictors from buckeye field supply and just place it in your drain line. I have always been under the impression that you had to have some sort of flow restrictor. Would it be possible that there is a built in flow restrictor somewhere on the drain side of the unit?

Im not sure, im not sure if its in the waste water side why it would be needed. all its doing is restricting the flow rate of the waste water but if its in that line its already been filtered if its thats far down the line through the membrane. but even the waste water doesnt pour out.. its making about 48gpd.. i tested the ro it tested out fine..

From what I read if you don't have the membrane and the flow restrictor that match outputs then it can either cause excessive waste to the drain or premature membrane fouling