Galviston caught Hermit Crabs

dirkgent001

So I was celebrating the 4th in Galveston and while in the waters there were tons of hermit crabs all over the beach (in the water). I picked some up and put them in a bucket with sand and water and they seem to be doing fine so far. I never got my saltwater tank stared (recession problems) so I'm offering these guys up to any local reefers that want them. I live in Manor, about 7 miles east of I-35 off 290 east. I have 6 of these guys ranging for the large one just smaller than a tennis ball size ball size to 2 small ones at about the size of a 50 cent piece (including shells).

Anyways, give me a call if your interested. Should be picked up today to ensure they stay healthy. Kinda doing this on a first come first serve, as I don't have a place to keep these other than this bucket.

Orlando

297 - 4628

Don't mean to be a downer, but... I was at the coast a couple of weeks ago. I went snorkeling and found a medium size hermit crab. He made it back and was active in my tank. However, days later all my livestock started dropping off. I couldn't figure out if it was ick or something else. As a result, I lost a blue tang, dog face puffer, a pair of nice size saddleback clowns, a pair of percula, 2 gobies, 3 chromis, and various invertebrates. I took him out when I first started losing fish, but the others still died. The survivors include a six line wrasse, 3 chromis, a fox face, and a lawnmower blenny. I have various corals (mostly frags) and they are all doing fine. They may even be happier with all the livestock gone.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if the crab had anything to do with it, but it all happened when I put him in there. FYI.

• Like 1

Just a caution to fellow reefers. Galveston Hermits ARE NOT reef safe. They are a carnivorous species and are notorious for attacking corals and fish. They are coming from EXTREMELY polluted waters as well and I would not be surprised if they harbor marine diseases that could adversely affect an already established reef tank.

They make fine pets if kept in a tank of their own, but be warned, DO NOT put these guys into an established reef tank.

• Like 1

I picked some up and put them in a bucket with sand and water and they seem to be doing fine so far.

A little too late now, but please leave the local livestock in their personal habitat. They've learned to thrive in that environment and may be carrying parasites due to Galveston's proximity to the Houston ship channel. Just my thoughts on the matter. cool.gif

Maybe someone is going out that way soon that can return them to the ocean. No offense, but if you didn't have a place set up to care for them, then why did ya bring them back?

Dena

• Like 2

Maybe someone is going out that way soon that can return them to the ocean. No offense, but if you didn't have a place set up to care for them, then why did ya bring them back?

Dena

I got them for the cool shells, but figured I'd see if anybody here was interested first. Oh well, cool shells it is.

I got them for the cool shells, but figured I'd see if anybody here was interested first. Oh well, cool shells it is.

Man, I'm not an eco nazi or anything but that seems pretty callous, killing off the hermits just for thier shells. Especially when there are a lot of shells already out there without inhabitants.

OTOH I think i may smell a troll here so who knows. I can't really imagine anyone who is a reefer doing this.

• Like 1