Help with new tank

offroadodge

ok, well not sure if everyone has seen the blog started about the new tank that im setting up but im going to have some friends come over today and help me place the tank in its final resting spot. So the help i need is plumbing ideas, where to place ball valves etc. And is this sump set up a good choice?sump002.jpg

Thats a nice sump! If you plan to set it up like you have it in the pic then its not going to work. The return pump is going to need to be in the center chamber. Im not sure what tank you are setting up, but if it has a single overflow you will need to "T" of the overflow and run 1 pipe to each side of the sump with a ball valve on each tube. The chamber on the far right will be your fuge. The chamber on your left is setup right. The chamber in the center will be the return pump chamber. The ball valve will allow you to control how much water runs through the fuge. Im not sure If Im making this clear, sorry its easier to be there and explain.

I just look at the pic again and it looks like the the chamber on the far right has a gap at the bottom of the baffle? If it does then My whole post is a waist! LOL! Im not sure why they would have done that. You will have to keep it the way you have it and the fuge will be the center and TINY! The holes at the top of the last chamber would also be pointless! Im confused now! LMFAO!

Dustin

dustin thanks for the info, the center is the fuge, but dont think im going to set it up right now. the holes in the top right are in my opinion a way to grab the sump and lift it. or to equalize the water if the system fails andpumps go out. Today when friends set tank for me and i get a better look at how it going to need to be plumbed then ill post more pics. The overflow is a schedule 80 1.75" bulkhead. A little bigger than average.

If that far right baffle does have a gap then I think it should flow this way:

The far left is setup correctly. You have the water enter this area where the skimmer will also be placed. It looks like they have the silencer attached to the filter sock holder, nice.

The next chamber will most likely be the refugium since the next baffle will set the water height just shorter than the skimmer section and also has overflow teeth to keep all your macroalgae in the right section. If as stated above the next / last baffle does have a gap at the bottom, then this would be your bubble trap before entering into your return section, which is the last, far right section.

I'm not sure why they have the holes drilled at the top of the last baffle. I'm baffled! Do they have other PM pieces that may fit into that to hang say float valves for ATO, or other probes? Not really sure.

Good luck with the setup.

Thats a nice sump! If you plan to set it up like you have it in the pic then its not going to work. The return pump is going to need to be in the center chamber. Im not sure what tank you are setting up, but if it has a single overflow you will need to "T" of the overflow and run 1 pipe to each side of the sump with a ball valve on each tube. The chamber on the far right will be your fuge. The chamber on your left is setup right. The chamber in the center will be the return pump chamber. The ball valve will allow you to control how much water runs through the fuge. Im not sure If Im making this clear, sorry its easier to be there and explain.

I just look at the pic again and it looks like the the chamber on the far right has a gap at the bottom of the baffle? If it does then My whole post is a waist! LOL! Im not sure why they would have done that. You will have to keep it the way you have it and the fuge will be the center and TINY! The holes at the top of the last chamber would also be pointless! Im confused now! LMFAO!

Dustin

Dustin lol I was wondering what the heck you were talkin about because thats how my sump is and it works, but i see what you were confused about now.

ya thats correct, with the controller its 450-500. Hey theres a few people on EBAY selling liverock. I have always paid LFS price(which is F___ing High), and was considering buying it on ebay. 50lbs Fiji ultra premium live rock $115($45 shipping) so $160 delivered, thats $3.20/lb. Any thoughts

The total cost is $220. That is controller and all. Am I missing something? what controller are you talking about? LOL!

I have never bought Ebay liverock. Have you seen the dry rock that Prof is selling? Its cheap and Very nice! All you would need is a few small pieces of liverock to seed it. JMO.

Dustin

I am just thinking that the Tunze6100 is just the pump($220), and then u have to but the controller for it which is another $200 or so. I guess if u can find a 6100 with controller for $200 then the price is correct. I filled the tank with fresh water this morning so i can start building the wall. wanted the weight in the tank so there wouldnt be any issues with flexing. Also here is a picture of new plumbing. One sock.

DSCN3548.jpg

i have purchase 4 ground earth magnets, they are REALY strong. Each one has a pulling force of 28lbs. They will go in each corner. The wood on top of the tank is resting on the top of the tank rim. Picture that sheet of wood with a 2" stip nail and glued 1.5"s up from bottom. Also to keep the board from getting to hot i ligned the inside with radiant barrier, also acts as a refector. Here are some pictures.

Light hung tonight. 14" from top of tank

400wMH.jpg

Light with board up

justMH.jpg

Canopy cover looking at the lip i built to support part of the weight. Once the magnet get here tehy will support the canopy cover.

canopycvr.jpg

Ok, I was thinking about your fans! Do you own your home? Is one of the wall an exterior wall? Could you use duct work to add bathroom style ventalation fan, and exhaust the heat outside? I just dont think the 3'' fans will be enough for the large area inside the top part of the tank. Maybe someone else can chime in on this!

Dustin

so with both fans going at full till they will evacuate 204cfm. The measurements on canopy are 4'Lx28"Dx lets say an average height 37". Im not good with math but i think that it will turn over like 7x's the volume of the canopy a minute. i may be doing the math wrong.

LOL! It would sound like a RC plane above your tank! All you can do is try! Also maybe you could put a cold air return vent at the top to make it look like part of the house instead of the fan grills????? Just tryin to give you some ideas, you wont hurt my feelings if you dont use or like them. :)