400wt MH on a 20long, too much?

KaceyJ

so, I broke the bulb for my 250wt, and installed my 400wt with 20k bulb. Is this just overkill?

What size tank do you have it hanging over? We have 2 (400w 14k bulbs) That's a total of 800watts for our 215 but we also have an open top canopy w/2 cheapo window fans that are controlled by an Aquacontroller and the kick on/off depending on the temp. fluctuation so my husband is not worry about the big temp. swings. Can you elaborate a little more about your set up and the type of canopy---if any, how you have it set up?

-Cindy-

He He. It is a 20gl long. The light is inside a canopy, but the canopy is open on the fron and back. It is about 8-10 inches above the tank. I have a large fan in the sump. I have not ran it for more than a few hours. I will attempt it on wed, since i will be off all day. If anyone wants to trade a smaller mh with a good bulb, i am open.

He He. It is a 20gl long. The light is inside a canopy, but the canopy is open on the fron and back. It is about 8-10 inches above the tank. I have a large fan in the sump. I have not ran it for more than a few hours. I will attempt it on wed, since i will be off all day. If anyone wants to trade a smaller mh with a good bulb, i am open.

Yeah....too much for a 20L....what you might consider is a 150w clamp on light fixture. You can set them high enough from the surface/water but getting the most coverage in lighting. Or a JBJ K-2 Viper 70w HQI clamp lamp, I have this fixture over a corner bowfront tank that's 36g and it's been running for over 3yrs.