Cycling Question

Fragen_Unreal

I just started using a Stability to help cycle my 34g Solana. The live rock, from what I can tell, does not have any decaying material on it or it is cured. Do I need to introduce some kind of decayable matter to help get the initial ammonia spike? i.e. a cocktail shrimp. Or will the tank cycle without the waste?

Also, how long typically does it take for diatoms and the first sign of algae to show up? Thanks.

Two of my tanks I purchased already cycled, the third one, which I cycled myself (and is midcycle right now) I did with a pair of dalmation mollies. They were for my son's room and he wanted fish in it now. I also used live sand and filled it full of live rock. the molly is doing fine and we just added a domino damsel the other day, also doing just fine, I haven't tested his water yet this week, but I am guessing the only thing I need to get down is the nitrate, based on the behavior of the fish. Sorry that didn't really answer your question.

Candra

list=1]

quote name='Fragen_Unreal' date='Feb 24 2009, 10:18 PM' post='27420']

I just started using a Stability to help cycle my 34g Solana. The live rock, from what I can tell, does not have any decaying material on it or it is cured. Do I need to introduce some kind of decayable matter to help get the initial ammonia spike? i.e. a cocktail shrimp. Or will the tank cycle without the waste?

Also, how long typically does it take for diatoms and the first sign of algae to show up? Thanks.

Just let the stability product do its thing. Test your levels daily and watch the levels come down. There is plenty to die and be processed.

You said the D word...yikes ->

I like him :whistle: I think he's pretty, and still to little to be mean as heck. He's only about the size of a quarter. That being said , I am sure that he will be a mean little cuss in the future.

Candra