Upgrading?

clownmama

So, I was thinking of upgrading to a larger tank, and what I want to know is if I use the same rock and sand and water that is in my tank if it would cycle. I'd obviously have to add more sand because this one would be six inches wider across, and I only have a little over an inch to begin with, would you use live sand? I don't know if I'd add more rock right away, as it is hard to come by cheaply around here in Killeen (8.99 per pound). anyhow, I'd be upgrading from a 29 to a 45. The tank that I have now has been up and running for 19 months, and is coral and fish tank (no nem's).

Thanks,

Candra

I'd add more sand.

I'd re-use your rock, but not make a big deal of re-using all your water. Just get some RO/DI water, mix in your salt, check your levels and you should be good to go.

You shouldn't see much of a cycle, maybe a small nitrate spike. I would recommend you pick up a bottle of Stablize by SeaChem though. $9 and it will help your tank cycle faster if it does cycle and overall prevent a cycle first.

It will cycle but not as hard as a new tank.

+1 for not reusing old water. Why use old water when you probably need a water change anyways. Not to mention you'll be stirring up all that crap that will pollute old water even more.

Most healthy fish can handle a move.

Contact Prof as he has absolutely gorgeous rock right now, I'd personally say it's the best I've ever seen. Also has hundreds of pounds of sand for sale. He just bought a used tank and needs to get rid of the extra.

It will cycle but not as hard as a new tank.

+1 for not reusing old water. Why use old water when you probably need a water change anyways. Not to mention you'll be stirring up all that crap that will pollute old water even more.

Most healthy fish can handle a move.

Contact Prof as he has absolutely gorgeous rock right now, I'd personally say it's the best I've ever seen. Also has hundreds of pounds of sand for sale. He just bought a used tank and needs to get rid of the extra.

Well, my fish are as follows, a Coral Beauty (this is the one I worry about) 2 o clowns, a royal gramma, a onespot fox face, and a 6 line wrasse.

Would they survive the cycle or nitrate spike, this stuff should prevent that?

Will a 250 MH be enough light for a 45? I have some feather dusters and corals also.

Those fish should be fine as they are pretty tough for me. OF course it really depends on how much your tank cycles.

250 MH is a great sized bulb. It will certainly light up your tank and depending on what kind of coral you want in your tank, it could work.