Skimmer downpipe

mcallahan

I've got a EuroReef RS-80 and it works really, really well, but I hate how the return downpipe sits above the water so all I hear is water trickling.

I added a small rubber piece that extended the downpipe to about 1/4" below the water, but when I did that, the column of bubbles dropped below the neck of the skimmer. I know I could just close down the return more to push the bubbles up more, but to me if adding that piece drops the bubbles that much, it isn't making the skimmer work as it should. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mod the downpipe so that I don't have to listen to a waterfall all the time?

Edited by azcummins

I've got a EuroReef RS-80 and it works really, really well, but I hate how the return downpipe sits above the water so all I hear is water trickling.

I added a small rubber piece that extended the downpipe to about 1/4" below the water, but when I did that, the column of bubbles dropped below the neck of the skimmer. I know I could just close down the return more to push the bubbles up more, but to me if adding that piece drops the bubbles that much, it isn't making the skimmer work as it should. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mod the downpipe so that I don't have to listen to a waterfall all the time?

bu putting the hose under the water line you create back pressure and more resistance to exiting water....I have used or seen in use the following methods to quiet the downpipe

1: add a filter sock to the down pipe that extends below the water line doing so slows down the water without creating the back pressure and also traps most micro bubbles

2: drill a hole in the rubber piece ABOVE the water line to allow air (and excess pressure to escape) you will get some trickling but not as much.

3: place a soped piece of glass/acrylic underneath your downpipe so the water slides down it rather than just falling on the water line...basically makes it quiter

bu putting the hose under the water line you create back pressure and more resistance to exiting water....I have used or seen in use the following methods to quiet the downpipe

1: add a filter sock to the down pipe that extends below the water line doing so slows down the water without creating the back pressure and also traps most micro bubbles

2: drill a hole in the rubber piece ABOVE the water line to allow air (and excess pressure to escape) you will get some trickling but not as much.

3: place a soped piece of glass/acrylic underneath your downpipe so the water slides down it rather than just falling on the water line...basically makes it quiter

That makes sense about the back pressure. Its hard to believe that when the downpipe is only slightly below the water, it creates that much pressure.

That makes sense about the back pressure. Its hard to believe that when the downpipe is only slightly below the water, it creates that much pressure.

any distance under the water creates some resistance to waterflow. it is really based on the inability for air to escape WITH the water and friction not to mention the tinsel strength of the surface of water. A column of water (pipe) can only go basically 2 ways the way it was going ...or back the way it came....water when dumped out of a pipe above water level doesn't get this "backed up" effect as the water can also go in multiple planar directions once "released" from the column the flow and pressure becomes more disbursed.

basically ANY pipe that's opening is submerged has to fight SOME back pressure...including your overflows...mine are subwater level but are "swiss cheesed" sightly above the water level

another way to alleviate the issue is to have your down pipe intersect the water line at a 45 degree (or gentler slope)but not be fully submerged.

Edited by Capt. Obvious

my euro reef es5-3 skimmer came with the large black foam block that fits around the exit tube. i guess they dont do that any more

?\\\\

I bought it used and it didn't have it in the box. I remember seeing the foam block in pics of ones being sold new.

I bought it used and it didn't have it in the box. I remember seeing the foam block in pics of ones being sold new.

Mine came new and didn't have the foam. I have heard of people submerging the pipe with no problems. I haven't been able to keep mine submerged because of the evaporation in my sump. To me the pump is louder than the sound of flowling water anyway.