Blue/Green Chromis possibly spawning?

JEN H

My husband noticed this evening while feeding our fish that we have a blue/green chromis hiding in the rocks under and slight overhang. In the process of observing the fish, it kept moving around one specific area of the overhang. There was also another blue/green chromis that kept going down to that fish in what seemed like a chance to check on the other fish.

I thought that maybe the fish was injured, but my husband seems to think that maybe the chromis has laid some eggs and now the male is protecting those eggs.

It seemed to be picking at food that would get near it, but it was not leaving the area to go feed with the 10 other Chromis we have (along with our other fish).

If we find out it is spawning....how could we possibly get the fry out and segregate them prior to the other fish eating them?

Thanks!!!

My husband noticed this evening while feeding our fish that we have a blue/green chromis hiding in the rocks under and slight overhang. In the process of observing the fish, it kept moving around one specific area of the overhang. There was also another blue/green chromis that kept going down to that fish in what seemed like a chance to check on the other fish.

I thought that maybe the fish was injured, but my husband seems to think that maybe the chromis has laid some eggs and now the male is protecting those eggs.

It seemed to be picking at food that would get near it, but it was not leaving the area to go feed with the 10 other Chromis we have (along with our other fish).

If we find out it is spawning....how could we possibly get the fry out and segregate them prior to the other fish eating them?

Thanks!!!

Wow...neato if they really spawned. Get them big and healthy and I'll buy them!

How to segregate the fry? My only thought would be to get an airline tube and suck them into another tank. Risky perhaps but I doubt you'd ever catch them by hand.

A net might work as well if you could them away from the rocks.