Rare Fish?

medi

I plan on keeping only a couple of fish in my Solana. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good fish. I would like something that swims, has bright colors, and is kind of rare. Any suggestions are helpful

I forgot to mention that I already plan on doing a watchman goby and pistol shrimp, just because they are fun to watch, but I am still looking for one more rare fish. I am not familiar with a snowcasso, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion

Has anyone ever tried to keep a lemon peel angelfish in their reef tank?

It's a great looking fish. But I hear they're tough to keep. From what I understand, they often eat coral, are prone to dying (often caught using cyanide) and many suggest if one does keep them, not to house them in tanks smaller than 55 gallons.

Agree with above for the most part. The diffuser that is on the suction side allows the pulling power to be moved around to where the fish is not at, this allows the fish to swim away if they brush up against it. I do have a screen around my Tunze streams as my frog fish, which are unable to swim well, does get stuck to it from time to time. Even though it does get stuck to it without the screen on, it can pull itself away.

An angel should have been able to get away if it was healthy.

I've got all kinds of ideas for rare fish but not for a 34g. You could always try a blue spot jawfish. Beautiful but jumpers. I think it would be neat to have a couple of panda gobies in a tank that size, but you won't be able to keep much else as they only get to be about 1". What about garden eels. I haven't seen any available for about 3 years, and even then I think Ezra was ordering them for himself when he was at the Dome. Gary could get more if you order them. You'd want about 5 of them in that tank. They stay tiny and live in the sand bed. When happy they will group up and pop their heads up about 3" above the sand.

I love the idea of keeping eels. I had thought about keeping a snowflake until it out grew the tank, but the only problem I have with eels is that I am running topless, and all of the research I have seen says they are escape artist. The last thing I want to have happen is come home and find my eels DOS lying on the floor. Also, I like the idea of the jawfish, but I would really want something that swims all around the tank, and doesn't just stay on the bottom. I know this is difficult considering the size of the tank, but I am hoping there is something out there for me, other than clowns, damsels, and chromis. Thus the appeal of the dwarf angels. I know they are a little large for my tank, but I am prepared to do battle with frequent water changes. I just don't want one that is going to eat all of my coral. So I probably will have to keep looking, as I am not sure I want to chance an angel.

If your looking at eels, I have a pretty cool chestnut moray. They dont get more than 12 inches or so, Mines at full size now, Irridecent brown in color with white spots around the jaw, Pretty shy eel, but will come out for food. He also tends to eat the smaller fish...but I am looking to rehome him

• 2 weeks later...