Serpent Star Question

cheetum

Question ? Anyone know how or if Serpent Stars breed in the home aquarium ? Today I was feeding pellets ,when I noticed what looked like a serpent star crawl out of one of my rocks ! :lol: The thing is I've never had a serpent star in this system. It was tiny white and looked & moved like a serpent star. If anyone knows please let me know & if its safe or not ! Thanks

If they look like these you're fine:

micro-starfish.jpg

They're scavengers, beneficial to your substrate. I have a larger set of starfish that hide in one particular rock of mine. I've never seen the whole thing but whenever I feed the tank, it will gently extend it's legs out for some food. So I'll hand feed it a little something.

I can spare a few if you really want some.

One of the first saltwater creatures I was ever given was a striped serpent star. Still have it. It's very peaceful but rarely shows itself. I hand feed it shrimp about twice a week.

Funny, I just found this starfish link a few minutes ago. The eight-legged starfish is really cool.

http://www.scienceray.com/Biology/Marine-B...the-Seas.371893