RO/DI

medi

$159 for a brand new AquaFX or Spectrapure (can't remember which one) unit at Aquatek, on the shelf. Best local deal going. Buy new it's cheaper in the long run.

When you buy used you typically need new filters. A good membrane runs about $50, 2-3 cartridge pre-filters run about $10 apiece and DI resin runs about $50 a bag or $30 a recharge can. You could easily spend $80-100 just recharging a used filter. By buying a new one you are guaranteed good results with all new eqpt.

You might even save a few pennies over at Buckeyefieldsuppply.com, and Russ is about the nicest RO guy in the business, but you might lose that in shipping.

Anyone know anything about the RO/DI unit that is being sold on Ebay? It is a 6 stage with a pressure gauge and water level switch for $88. I don't know a lot about these, but how different could they be. It just sounds to good to be true.

I have a Spectrapure R/O unit similar to this one that I will sell for $30. It will need new filters. Unit works fine but the pressure gauge is broken - would be cheap to replace.

Brian

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_line_p4.htm

I will have to think about it. Do you know what model it is? I am really looking for one with an external DI canister

The Ebay units are junk.

I bought a used one for $10 once and replaced all the filters with the ones he recommended from his Ebay guy. All components made in Cheena to look just like their US filters. Once set up I noticed that the water was being discharged at a fast rate, almost to fast. After checking the TDS with an inline meter I bought, I was getting about 200TDS out of the RO and DI. The DI resin canister cannot work laying on it's side, it must be forced through, bottom up. I even tried running 3 of the DI canisters as the seller threw in 2 extra canisters. I then was informed that the membrane was of such poor quality that it was not actually forcing water through the membrane itself as intended. Basically it was all "blow by". The water was not any cleaner going through the system then it was coming from the faucet. I then bought an AquaFX Mako with the 300GPD and chloramine buster upgrades. Much happier now.

That spectrapure looks to be an honest offer, if it's what you want jump all over it. Most folks try to sell used RO/DI for $100 or so and it's a ripoff.

Any suggestions as a good place to buy filters. Also, are they all a "standard" size

I'm a huge fan of Buckeye field supply. I think, I know, Russ is about the most dedicated guy on the subject. Russ chimes in on many forums and helps folks out of all of their bad situations. He is honest and is more than willing to help those suckered into buying an Ebay contraption straighten out their filters. With that being said, BFS is a business dedicated to water purification, Melev is a great hobbyist and sells products to help others find what they need and offset the cost of the hobby. Both are excellent places to buy from, but when I'm in need I'll be shopping at BFS.

10" filters, what you have, are considered "standard". They make extra long units that are 20", basically you can either buy 2 cartridges or 1 long one for those types and another style is the "Big Blue" line that uses a really fat canister.

Thanks very much for the info. I just bought my new solana tank and so now my funds have been kind of drained so it looks like I will be doing a little bit of driving to get water afterall, but as soon as I can I will definitely check out BFS. Thanks again

I'm a huge fan of Buckeye field supply. I think, I know, Russ is about the most dedicated guy on the subject. Russ chimes in on many forums and helps folks out of all of their bad situations. He is honest and is more than willing to help those suckered into buying an Ebay contraption straighten out their filters. With that being said, BFS is a business dedicated to water purification, Melev is a great hobbyist and sells products to help others find what they need and offset the cost of the hobby. Both are excellent places to buy from, but when I'm in need I'll be shopping at BFS.

10" filters, what you have, are considered "standard". They make extra long units that are 20", basically you can either buy 2 cartridges or 1 long one for those types and another style is the "Big Blue" line that uses a really fat canister.