You know how they always say to buy the best skimmer you can afford?

caferacermike

A couple of years ago I bought this skimmer for my 400g tank. It's a Euro-Reef CS12-5-RC with the Eheim 1262 upgraded pumps. I'm pushing it with an Eheim 1262 pump, matched 1 for 1 to my Eheim 1262 return pump for the sump.

e1d20706.jpg

I decided that since I haven't set up the intended tank yet, and won't be able to for at least another year, I'd refocus on my 75g tank. Last night I hooked it up and began cycling and adjusting it. I love it. I've been stirring the sand bed repeatedly and instantly the cup begins to fill up with gunk.

You notice how puny the 5g bucket looks next to it? It took 25g of water to correct the tank. Not sure if it was the skimmer or the "large water change" of adding 25g of clean water to the system. LOL.

So after constantly stirring the sand bed yesterday with a Tunze 6060 powerhead, both directly by hand about 2" above the sand and then continuously by mounting it with the magnet 2" above the sand bed, things have settled a bit today. I was unable to run the skimmer today as it has removed 10g of water from the tank and thus depleted my water reserves (I have a 300GPD RO/DI unit attached to a 125g barrel 6' above ground but it has a broken fitting) so I had to unplug it this morning. However the water is beyond crystal clear. It hurts to look into the tank with both 250W 14K halides blazing through. It truly is awe inspiring. If you ever want to watch a 5' tall Euro-Reef skimmer do it's thing, this is the way to do it. I think the hair algae will be gone in a couple of days and I was able to keep my bio activity alive!! I was afraid I'd have to dry out or totally cook the rock work losing all my critters.

I know now that I will certainly be back in the game and on top again. Yes! In fact I may be willing to clean tanks for a small fee by renting this thing out to those that would be interested.

Edited by caferacermike

How much LOL...that's pretty nice!

You notice how puny the 5g bucket looks next to it? It took 25g of water to correct the tank. Not sure if it was the skimmer or the "large water change" of adding 25g of clean water to the system. LOL.

So after constantly stirring the sand bed yesterday with a Tunze 6060 powerhead, both directly by hand about 2" above the sand and then continuously by mounting it with the magnet 2" above the sand bed, things have settled a bit today. I was unable to run the skimmer today as it has removed 10g of water from the tank and thus depleted my water reserves (I have a 300GPD RO/DI unit attached to a 125g barrel 6' above ground but it has a broken fitting) so I had to unplug it this morning. However the water is beyond crystal clear. It hurts to look into the tank with both 250W 14K halides blazing through. It truly is awe inspiring. If you ever want to watch a 5' tall Euro-Reef skimmer do it's thing, this is the way to do it. I think the hair algae will be gone in a couple of days and I was able to keep my bio activity alive!! I was afraid I'd have to dry out or totally cook the rock work losing all my critters.

I know now that I will certainly be back in the game and on top again. Yes! In fact I may be willing to clean tanks for a small fee by renting this thing out to those that would be interested.

• 3 weeks later...