Poly Reactor

Dena

Looking to buy a ViaAqua Poly-Reactor (Multi-Media Reactor)...PM with price, how old it is and how you liked it.

Thanks,

Dena

I love mine as it was cheap and comes with a pump. I recommend leaving it on 100% of the time though as if you turn it off, often times I have to knock the pump to get it to pump water again. Another great feature is that it is 100% HOB if need be, so people without sumps can use it.

I paid $44 online for it. I haven't seen the ViaAqua one @ LFS.

Thanks for the input. I can't afford it, but Petsolutions has one on sale for $34.99 and I'd hate to pass that deal up! Did it happen to do anything for your nitrates? I was thinking I could mix the Phosban with DeNitrate also.

Dena

I love mine as it was cheap and comes with a pump. I recommend leaving it on 100% of the time though as if you turn it off, often times I have to knock the pump to get it to pump water again. Another great feature is that it is 100% HOB if need be, so people without sumps can use it.

I paid $44 online for it. I haven't seen the ViaAqua one @ LFS.

Thanks for the input. I can't afford it, but Petsolutions has one on sale for $34.99 and I'd hate to pass that deal up! Did it happen to do anything for your nitrates? I was thinking I could mix the Phosban with DeNitrate also.

Dena

For some reason, which I don't think was due to the reactor, my nitrates did drop when I added the reactor. I did not have any nitrate reducing media in there though. A refugium with some chaeto and a light work best for nitrate reduction.

I've got a refugium with Chaeto and other stuff...not working enough. Before we moved, no problems at all and we had no filter or sump, just the refugium. I added sand when we moved and I think that contributed to most of the problems. I thought I read that phosphates can break down somewhere along the line and turn into nitrates...not sure where I read it or if I even read it right LOL.

Dena

For some reason, which I don't think was due to the reactor, my nitrates did drop when I added the reactor. I did not have any nitrate reducing media in there though. A refugium with some chaeto and a light work best for nitrate reduction.

Was the sand dead or alive when you added it?

Either way, I'm not surprised you adding it spiked your nitrates as the sand had a lot of junk in it that got released when you put it into the new tank. Keep up with your water changes and trim your chaeto to stimulate new growth and over time they will come down.