Nano_Steve's 16g Bowfront Blog

Nano_Steve

Dude, we are just trying to help you keep from making a big mistake that will cause you problems later. If you can't take constructive criticism then you will never learn to do better. When I started this hobby 4 years ago I made a lot of mistakes and had read or heard wrong info. from people. I had more experienced people help me out and become successful. I am sorry if you are offended but you might look past any perceived "tone" of a post and take the info for what it is, people trying to help.

Sorry to hear that you are so upset steve. The people hear are passionate about the corals that you are growing, and speak up when they think you are endangering them. I am worried myself that you are going to run into some problems, but I know Mike knows his stuff, and imagine Gabriel does as well. I think that the info being offered is stated to get a point across, thats all. No hard feelings. A blog seems to be a place that is a lot safer from criticism. I think we all wish you the best of luck with your tank.

Hmm, helpful. But since this is my tank and I'm going off of my own experience of keeping nanos for over 7 years I think I will try to get my levels to where I have stated them. Nanos work completely differently than larger systems and vice-versa, I'm sure 400 is fine for a larger system but due to HUGE fluctuations in short periods of time in such a small water volume, I need some room for error, hence the higher numbers. Besides, the worst that happens with higher Calcium levels is white growth without color for a short period of time.

My kH on the other hand needs to be dealt with before anything else happens. Having 10 kH is not acceptable for such a small water volume and my pH is a bit low as well, but it should be fine when I get my kH to the levels I'd like them (around 50).

-Steve

It was this one here that got my attention, the one were give incorrect information as fact.

The natural balance of seawater should be no different be it a 3g pico, a 12g nano, or a 400g reef. I'm sorry if you feel different. If it was meant to be different they would make tank size specific salt and they do not. Wherever there is a market for a manufacturer to exploit, they most certainly will.

Oh and BTW, I keep not only large reef tanks and freshwater species specific tanks but I have almost always kept a nano running as well.

Never did I mean to make you feel unwelcome. I was adding to your "blog" and pointing out an inaccuracy that you stated and also backed up what 2 other members were saying. When you flat out refuse the help of an experienced reefer (GKarshens has had some wonderful setups) and then scoff him away with statements like those above, you open the door to criticism.