May be a midnite move.

caferacermike

Let's just say a friend of mine is moving out of his house under bad terms.

I set up a nice 40g for him about 9 months back. All is well with the tank. He wishes for me to set up his tank and take care of it while he takes care of a lot of grown up issues.

Any advice as to what I should take into account if I have to head to his house Sat night around midnite and take instant possession of his tank? I'd have about an hour to drain yank and get.

Couple of clowns, lobster, shrimps, brittle stars, hundreds of snails, hammers, torch, gonoporia, zoos, 60 lbs live sand, 50 lbs live rock.

Arrested? Nah. It's more like wife decided to serve him with seperation papers cause he wouldn't buy her a Mercedes. She doesn't work and would be legally able to live for free in the house he bought for months on end while she decides what will make her happy. He's been down that road before. He is serving her with divorce papers instead. All of his stuff is going to be hauled out to his new place before she has a chance to smash, break, sell any of it.

But really I need advice cause I fear this tank will crash.

Do you have an RO/DI to make some fresh water? What part of town is he in? I would possibly be available to help if you want/need it. I have a 32 gallon brute which would be good for the rock. I would start with new sand and just use a couple cup fulls of the old to reseed it. You can buy a 40 lb bag of Live sand for around $50. I would just be worried about what you might stir up trying to use the old sand.

Sand was a big concern for me. I have a RO/DI 6 stage. Was planning to have about 20g ready mixed and use the rest from his tank. I have many brand new 50g Brute cans with wheels to help. I can't afford another 40g and sand right now on my budget (just bought a lot of lighting equipment and oh yeah a 6 stage RO/DI unit) He lives in Leander and I live in Central Austin. What if I went back bare bottom for awhile to help stave off cycling? I could always add plenty of sand later and it's always best to have your rock on the bottom of the tank instead of resting on the sand.