A-hunting we will go

ejaustin

I went on Big Bird's 2nd Annual Collecting trip to Port A several weeks ago and came home with 3 blennies, who all made the trip home successfully and who have all adjusted to living in a much smaller environment. Well, I've decided it's time to go back and bring them some delicacies from the old home ground, namely some macroalgae and seagrass. I figure I can probably manage to collect some of that without any help. I need to do it before my fishing license runs out the end of the month, so next Monday's the day. I'll go Sunday evening, so I might go out and see if I can net a few peppermints, but really I don't need more critters from my tank. That doesn't mean I can do a little catch-and-release for practice.

Anyway, if there's anything anyone wants that I might come across while I'm poking around and they let me know, I'd be glad to do my best to invite whatever it is along and be a good travel steward for him or her. I know it's a long shot that there's anything someone might want and an even longer shot that I'd cross paths with whatever the desired critter is, but I thought I'd make the offer anyway.

ej

frog fishes for me.

If you can find and live clams or oysters I'd like them to start a filter feeding colony in my fuge.

I've been wanting to get down that way for months and try collecting. A friend of mine said that my kayaks would be perfect for navigating the estuaries and I want to try it so bad. He said I'd be able to grab large clumps of seaweed and I'd find all kinds of pipe fishes, sea horses, triggers, and frog fishes.

Best of luck.

Port A is Port Aransas, just a little north of Corpus Christi although I may go a little further south because I hear there's more seagrass south of Corpus. Rockport is in the same general area and there's a nice state park there (Goose Island). BTW, Texas has a *great* state park system. My favorite beach is the municipal beach in Port Lavaca. Smallish but well-maintained and like $2 or $3 to park for the day. Campground adjacent to it.

I haven't been in the hobby long and the only reason I got anything last time is that a nice woman from MAAST took me under her fin and showed me the nets. :D But I can recognize some things. Blennies. Seahorses. Pipefish. Frogfish (most likely). From what I understand, if I find a nice clump of seaweed, there's no telling what will introduce itself!

As far as I can tell, there is no law against taking marine vegetation (my primary purpose this time) as long as you have a license, but I'll double-check with TPWD some time this week.

And I'll try to remember to give a report about where I go and what I see and all that.

ej

I plan to leave Sunday after I get off work, so about 7:00 or 7:30. Some time between now and then I'll have picked a more specific place to go and booked a room somewhere close by for the night. I may spend some time by the water Sunday night, depending on how tired I am and whether I remember to bring the flashlights. :D I plan to head back to Austin noonish or a little later.

I wouldn't mind a hitchhiker, but I drive a little bitty car (Mitsu Eclipse) that would not be able to tow a boat. You can send me a PM if you think you might like to ride along.

ej

• 3 months later...

Darn it! Jennifer and I were just talking about doing the same thing. If we didn't have silly day jobs to support this hobby, then we would definitely go. I think the catching and releasing would be just as fun as bringing the stuff back. Although, if I caught a frogfish he would make the trip home. happy2.gif Maybe we can plan an ARC trip after the first of the year. Maybe we could even hit up some local aquariums.