Overflow for frag tank??

scubasteve92

I am setting up a small (15g) frag tank, it will be an independent system and I am having some issues deciding how to set up the overflow. The tank is drilled and has an overflow and a return. I will be using a 1 inch bulk head for the overflow and a 1/2 inch for the return. My question is how should I do the plumbing for the overflow? I wont have a emergency drain but I want to use a ball valve on it so that I can adjust the flow for noise and also shut off the water to the sump. I was thinking standpipe or durso. What do you guys think?

Josh

tank drilled on bottom with a standard overflow box I would use a stand pipe w/ a Maggie Muffler on top. Very easy, effective and cheap way to go. Can still use your gate valve for flow control if wanted. If drilled on back I would go with a low profile box on the inside with a 90 coming off the bulkhead on back with the valve set to maintain a proper level in the box.

tank drilled on bottom with a standard overflow box I would use a stand pipe w/ a Maggie Muffler on top. Very easy, effective and cheap way to go. Can still use your gate valve for flow control if wanted. If drilled on back I would go with a low profile box on the inside with a 90 coming off the bulkhead on back with the valve set to maintain a proper level in the box.

You think I should be worried about the gate valve being clogged at any point? It is a frag tank and will likely not have anything in it to get sucked in but you never know.

On a tank that small I would just use a small slice of sponge in a low profile overflow skimmer box with the 90 elbow on the back and your valve to control the flow. Should be good to go. In a box that small you arenot going to need much flow to the sump. Probably < 2 Gal per hour is all that is needed. A Hydor Centrifugal 70 pump is 70 gph and at 3 feet will make ~ 20gph and you would probably need to adjust it down to get to 10gph and that's way more than you need for filtration. I would hope a tank this small is only to keep frags in while in QT prior to DT. Will be plenty hard to keep SPS in a tank this small.

On a tank that small I would just use a small slice of sponge in a low profile overflow skimmer box with the 90 elbow on the back and your valve to control the flow. Should be good to go. In a box that small you arenot going to need much flow to the sump. Probably < 2 Gal per hour is all that is needed. A Hydor Centrifugal 70 pump is 70 gph and at 3 feet will make ~ 20gph and you would probably need to adjust it down to get to 10gph and that's way more than you need for filtration. I would hope a tank this small is only to keep frags in while in QT prior to DT. Will be plenty hard to keep SPS in a tank this small.

It's drilled in the bottom so I will go with a stand pipe with a durso or maggie muffler (never heard of this until now) and I am thinking that I am going to use a sicce syncra silent .5 pump. The sump is a 20g tank so the entire system will be around 25 gallons or so. I have done sps in smaller tanks before smile.png